How to buy strategically at an amp show

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by wrxplayer, May 5, 2008.

1. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

I'm heading to the "NY" Amp Show (in NJ) on Saturday. Mostly going to just have fun and listen and observe stuff I've only read about but not seen. But if there is a nice deal to be had on a low watt head or combo, I might be tempted.

I've never been to an amp show and I'll only have a couple of hours to spend there. My question is whether one is more likely to get a better deal early in the day, late in the day, or does it not matter at all?

2. guitarslinger21

guitarslinger21 Member

everything is overpriced at amp shows. You're better off buying here. ;)

3. digital jams

digital jams Member

+1.

4. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

Does any sort of horse trading go on at that show? Guitar shows yes, but dunno about the protocol in lugging a lil combo around for potential trade bait and such at an amp show.

5. Loni Specter

Loni Specter Member

Hi all, The AMP SHOW is different than "Guitar Shows/Vintage/swap meet" type shows. It's all about the new gear. No used merchandise allowed to be brought into the show by visitors.
    Most manufacturers are there to promote their product, show prototypes and take orders for custom models.
    As to getting great deals at any show, Money talks......
    BTW 2 hours won't cut it if you want to really evaluate a few amps.
    Hope you can make it.

6. HeeBGB

HeeBGB Member

I would imagine that like most shows....the vendor wants as little as possible to have to pack up and will make good deals. Nothing is an absolute but at the end of the show would be my best guess as to when they would be most likely to deal. The reality of the load out is staring them in the face. A pocket full of cash and a lighter load on the way home is a good thing. Just make reasonable offers and don't be insulting.