How to change Pickups on my strat

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by TubeeTuberton, Oct 7, 2008.

1. TubeeTuberton

TubeeTuberton Member

I know this has been covered sometime before but, I can't seem to find it using search and I have looked online finding a couple of ways however, I want to make sure it is inline with how you guys would do it. I am simply replacing my American Deluxe Strat neck pup with a Lace Sensor Blue neck pup. Can you me how I should change it, instructions, pics, etc. Thank you very much.

- Rick

2. jackrussel

jackrussel Member

3. rmconner80

rmconner80 Cantankerous Luddite Silver Supporting Member

It should be simple. You'll need to pull the strings off, take the pickguard off, and take a look at the leads (probably one white, one black) coming off the neck pickup in the guitar. One (probably black) will go to the back of the volume potentiometer (i.e. it is grounded) and then the other lead (probably white) will go to the switch.

Write down which lead goes where, especially paying attention to the switch. You don't want to mix up where on the switch the pickup wire is connected.

Then, you'll need to unsolder both the black and white wires from their respective places, and take the pickup out of the pickguard.

Installation of the replacement pickup would be the reverse of removal. You may need to do some research of the Blue Lace pickup to ensure you are putting color codes of the wires to ground and hot switch respectively.

4. TubeeTuberton

TubeeTuberton Member

That is what I am trying to make sure of. Haven't found much yet in the way of color codes for blue lace sensors but, still looking.

5. domis

domis Member

Open it and check if there are any similar wires/colors from the one thats already installed. When i changed my singlecoils it was quite obvious what to do, even though it was a different brand. :AOKgl

6. TubeeTuberton

TubeeTuberton Member

Well, I quit being lazy and went to Lace's site. Of course, there are the diagrams. Oh well. I am excited, should be getting the pickup this week! Thanks for the responses.

7. TubeeTuberton

TubeeTuberton Member

Quick question, again. I was reading the diagram on Lace's site and it mentions changing the pots to 250K and adding a .022 mfd cap. Do I have to do this or is it just for tone?

8. Tonefish

Tonefish Member

Be happy that they're about the simplest to do, and a good place to start. There's lots of informaiton online. Have fun doing it!!!

9. rmconner80

rmconner80 Cantankerous Luddite Silver Supporting Member

Your strat will most likely already have 250K pots, and whatever tone cap is in place already (most likely a .022uF) will be fine. :AOK

10. TubeeTuberton

TubeeTuberton Member