How to choose 2x12 cab

ChickenSoup

Hello.

I have very old (probably 1994) Laney 2x12 cabinet. I bought it empty, without speakers. Its a closed back cabinet. I use Celestion Creamback 65W and T75. I like the speakers when they are miced. But I dont like the sound of this 2x12 in the room, or on stage with band. The cabinet seems to sound like it has too much mids! Like if you have mids on 10.

I´m always heard in a band, but the guitar on stage and for first crowd sounds very unfocused, its too open sound. The bass responce is okay but the mid frequencies are just too much.

I like my speakers, really a lot. I´ve tried both of them in 1x12 cabinets and it sound awesome together, very percussive and alive, the mids are as it should be.

Can you explain what should I look for in searching for another 2x12 cabinet? Or what is wrong with that 2x12 Laney cabinet?

The amp is Laney GH100L, with 6L6 right now (for those who dont know - this amp is like a JCM800 but with gain boost, aaand with 6L6 ofcourse)

Steppin' Wolfe

Silver Supporting Member
I would build another back panel with an opening of some sort....perhaps an oval?? It would be a good experiment.
Of course, the speakers you have were designed to do what you hear. They are not to my ears’ liking, but speakers are a very subjective subject. I prefer speakers that do not over-emphasize the mids and rely on my ap to give the speaker what I want to hear....and I do like some mids at times. It 8s just for me that I do not want the speaker to dictate heavy mids all of the time. Ommv.

also...just for grins, set the cab on a side...make it vertical. See if that changes anything for you. I know that it is a positive effect on the dispersion pattern.

ChickenSoup

No matter what the taste is - I´ve realised something - I´ve tried both of the speakers in 1x12 VHT/Fryette cabinet. It sounded phenomenal in the room (same under mic as Laney, almost) and I could hear the exact character of a speaker. But when I use both of the speaker in Laney cab, or just one (with the other one missing) it seams like the speaker doesnt have any character in that cabinet. Yes it is thumping, the bass is okay. But the high frequencies are somehow totally unagressive, and as I said its all but mids.

But anyway I will try the vertical thing!

Steppin' Wolfe

Silver Supporting Member
The differences when in different cabs as you describe would make me want to start study8ng the differences between the cabs....size, materials, etc. is that 1x12 cab open back or closed?

ChickenSoup

The differences when in different cabs as you describe would make me want to start study8ng the differences between the cabs....size, materials, etc. is that 1x12 cab open back or closed?
It is closed back, BUT it has 4 small bass reflex. I know that the bassreflex will make a difference, but other 2x12 cabinets (like for example Mesa Boogie) without bass reflex sounds much more focused in a room (but it has different speakers, that I dont like under microphone for my band).

Steppin' Wolfe

Silver Supporting Member
‘It has four small bass reflex’.... I take it this means it is ported, correct. That changes things quite a bit, ime. Get a good piece of marine grade, non-void plywood and build an open back panel.....or.....cut a hole in the
Laney cab???.

Steppin' Wolfe

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks...yes, ported And generally with a tube that is tuned dimensionally in reference to the bass resonance of the speaker. Thanks for the prompt to investigate the bit of difference between a simple port and reflex system with the tube extending back from the port. Both approaches increase the low end, ime, and therefor as I suggested above modifies the Result....as would an open back cab.

dbeeman

Platinum Supporting Member
cabinet size and dimensions matter. The small front face of your cab will reduce apparent low mid frequencies, while the ports should increase the bass. The 2*12 likely has a larger front face, so more mids.

Maybe a deeper 2*12 with port of oval back opening will help.

HeavyCream

Silver Supporting Member
Besides dimensions and ports, you should look for pine/birch plywood and finger joints.

Last edited:

fescue

Wood, whether solid pine or Baltic birch plywood, is your friend. MDF? Not so much. And I’d do a check at Mojotone for cabs. I think it makes a cab that lets you use it either open or closed.

ChickenSoup

Just to be more specific - With my band we play alternative rock/sometimes almost metal riffs. Guitar sound like Tool, or Alice in chains. Not exactly their sound, I have my own with my speakers, but I definately want a closed back.

By the way Im new to this forum. Can you tell me how to upload my own photo?
I want to show you the inside of my cabinet if you can tell my what wood is that

Last edited:

HeavyCream

Silver Supporting Member
Just to be more specific - With my band we play alternative rock/sometimes almost metal riffs. Guitar sound like Tool, or Alice in chains. Not exactly their sound, I have my own with my speakers, but I definately want a closed back.

By the way Im new to this forum. Can you tell me how to upload my own photo?
I want to show you the inside of my cabinet if you can tell my what wood is that
You have to use another site that lets you upload pics then embed it here by clicking the pic button that looks like a mountain and sun.

Steppin' Wolfe

Silver Supporting Member
I make the observation once more on a different tack.......you like the speakers in a cab that does not clamp down on the speaker. That is what that closed back cab does...it damps the movement of the speaker. Your bass reflex allows the speaker to act differently....it is more akin to an open back than it is to a closed back. ,You may want a closed back cab, but you are not liking those speakers in the closed back cab....you like them when the cone is has a less restricted movement.

ChickenSoup

Sorry for bad quality, but this is my Laney cab. Can you tell me what kind of wood is that? Or something more about it?

To my ears, the G12T-75 speaker is scooped sounding, so if the OP wants to reduce mids, he/she should just replace the Creamback with another G12T-75.

I currently have a PRS 2x12 Stealth cab with 2 G12T-75 speakers, and it's very scooped sounding. It's closed back, fairly lightweight for a 2x12, and great for OP's application, metal/hard rock.

Steppin' Wolfe

Silver Supporting Member
It looks like a composite/MDF/particle board rather than wood or laminated wood. I could be wrong....the pics good be better. The baffleboard is definitely a composite. what does it sound like with the back panel off?

Trending Topics