How to Clean a Maple Fretboard?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by RocknPop, Feb 24, 2012.

1. RocknPop

RocknPop Supporting Member

Hey guys, just bought a Fender Strat Am Deluxe with a maple neck. Can I use lemon oil on maple? What stuff do you guys use?

2. rusted

rusted Member

Breath and cotton cloth, slightly water dampened cotton cloth, or naphtha and cotton cloth. Nothing else would ever be allowed near my maple fretboards.

And I don't let lemon oil or any other treatments near any of my guitars.

3. RocknPop

Thanks, rusted. Good to know. What should I use to clean my rosewood fretboards if I don't use lemon oil?

4. Darkness

Darkness Member

5. pipedwho

pipedwho Member

Gorgomyte is for frets (a mixture of various nice smelling compounds and a chemical tarnish remover like 'Brasso').

Use the Fret Doctor oil for the rosewood board (it supposedly contains the best types of oil for 'feeding' and conditioning rosewood boards). Do not use silicone based cleaners on the board, but most other mineral oil based cleaners are probably ok (eg. 'lemon' oil).

For maple boards, you need to know what the finish is. Nitrocellulose needs careful treatment with products that contain NO petrochemicals or solvents or you risk wiping off the finish. For a poly finish, you can use just about anything you want.

6. rusted

rusted Member

Same thing. If I need to clean a rosewood board, which is usually the result of someone else using lemon oil or other treatments which attract/retain dirt and grime, I use an old t-shirt dampened with naphtha. It's the only chemical I use to clean vintage guitars, when necessary.

Normally, rosewood fretboards never require "feeding" or treatment. If your vintage Martin acoustics live year round in Greenland or the Mojave, sure, it might be reasonable to monitor and treat the fretboard, but I've seen more damage done to vintage guitar fretboards by people cleaning and oiling them than from leaving them alone.

7. shane88

shane88 Member

damp cotton cloth on everything

8. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

Many Martins have an Ebony board.

I recommend Fret Doctor for Rosewood and agree with rusted on the maple boards.

9. CyberFerret

CyberFerret Member

I like the effect that Professor Green's Guitar Polish has on my maple neck Strat... Gives it a really nice satin sheen that looks really beautiful.

Not a shill for them or anything - just a happy user of their product.

10. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

On maple fretboards only lighter fluid with all of the windows open and away from any flames. And I've only done this once as the stuff is toxic.

11. dannyglover

dannyglover Member

I suggest you use nothing

12. vintage66

vintage66 Member

Yeah, it's a finished board, right? I don't think I've ever really cleaned a maple fretboard unless it was unfinished.

13. RAILhead

RAILhead (real name is Maury, BTW) Gold Supporting Member

Naphtha for really dirty boards and gunked-up fret edges. For routine cleaning, I like Formby's Build-Up Remover (and it smells good). :D

14. catpeople

catpeople Senior Member

What do tgpers do to their guitars they're so obsessed with cleaning them? I've owned guitars for 30 years and never, not once cleaned a fretboard. No need.

15. RAILhead

Hm, maybe you should try it, then? :aok

16. catpeople

catpeople Senior Member

Ha. Well, as I said no need. My guitars are played enough they'll need a refret before they need cleaning. Maybe folks should just wash their hands before playing :huh

17. RocknPop

Hey frog.. I asked because I bought a used one that was dirty.

18. RAILhead

True, that! I mainly clean mine as part of my string changing routine. I also buy a lot of guitars from people, so I clean those when I get them.

19. vortexxxx

vortexxxx Member

If the poly or nitro on the maple neck hasn't been worn through, you could probably use Virtuoso cleaner on it (as long as there is no exposed wood). If the wood is exposed Naptha.

20. JasonE

JasonE Member

What if the board is not finished? It is raw wood. Naptha? And what could you put on it after cleaning to give it a little bit of sealing so the dirt doesn't get back into the pores of the wood?