How to clean Gretsch chrome pickups?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by jonsimeral, Jan 30, 2012.

1. jonsimeral

jonsimeral Member

Hey y'all,

Need some advice on how to clean the chrome Filtertron pickups on my Gretsch Duo Jet. They are getting kinda funky with sweat corrosion. What is the best way to do this without damaging the chrome or the finish of my guitar? Thanks in advance for any input!

2. jonsimeral

jonsimeral Member

3. adamg

adamg Member

From the National Website:

For polished, bright nickel guitars: Start with the least abrasive cleaning techniques before moving on to the more abrasive ones. Clean the nickel with a soft cloth (we use cloth diapers) & some glass cleaner, rubbing alcohol, or white vinegar. This should be done each time you use it, and should remove fingermarks. For stubborn stains, we recommend Flitz metal polish. You can buy Flitz at most hardware stores or from our online store: http://store.nationalguitars.com/flitz.aspx. Once the instrument is pristine, you can apply a coat of wax that has carnauba in it, such as Johnson's Clear Paste Wax or Meguire's No. 26 Car Wax.

For satin, Vintage Steel body guitars: Use Nickel-Aide to protect and seal the open pores of the satin nickel plating-- http://store.nationalguitars.com/nickle-aide.aspx

4. jonsimeral

jonsimeral Member

thanks man!!!!

5. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

I use to protect the gold finish on my old Gretsch parts by putting clear urethane on them. It eventually would wear off and need redone, but it did protect them from oxidation for the time it lasted. I read that solution from some other guitar site that probably no longer exists.........

6. Rob Sharer

Rob Sharer Muso-Luthier

Remember that chrome is porous, so that post-cleaning coat of wax is really important for slowing down corrosion over time.

Rob

7. Baxtercat

Baxtercat Member

As AdamG posted, the plating is nickle, not chrome.
    [The polish and wax company is Meguiar's, not McGuire's, btw. Might help when looking for the stuff.]

8. jefesq

jefesq Gold Supporting Member