How to date an EJ Strat

JedimasterPaul

Silver Supporting Member
I tried flowers / dinner / movie, but no joy. :)

serriously, how do you decode the s/n on the neckplate to figure out what year it was made in?

SN on this one is EJ 063xx

Not that it really matters, I just want to know.

thanks

robertkoa

Could that be only the 63rd one made- that would be kind of cool ?

Unfortunately I'm not the Fender Guru you need for this, but someone will come.

John C

Gold Supporting Member
You can't really decode the date from the EJ neck plates; they are like the Amercian Vintage series in that Fender grabs neck plates from a bin for them - the engraved plates are in somewhat random order. That being said, I'm sure that somewhere there is probably a range of numbers that loosely fit a given year.

The only way to accurately find the date is to remove the neck and check the date stamps on the neck and in the neck pocket of the body.

PedalFreak

Silver Supporting Member
The only way to accurately find the date is to remove the neck and check the date stamps on the neck and in the neck pocket of the body.

My contacts at Fender have told me only the first 100 neck plates were in the correct order of the instrument that came off the line. After that there is no order, they've seen guitars with a neckplate number in the 100's & 200's that were actually in the high 500's of production.

The only true way to tell, as quoted above is to take the neck off and look at the date, and the body date. Mine has 2 seperate dates, but has a 10/13/2006 Assembled date written inside. Suprisingly, my body and neck were built/finished really close to each other. I've seen some where they were built about 6 months apart from each other.

talpa

Gold Supporting Member
The only true way to tell, as quoted above is to take the neck off and look at the date, and the body date. Mine has 2 seperate dates, but has a 10/13/2006 Assembled date written inside.QUOTE]

i decided to not remove the neck on mine since it was built, from the 2nd production run in '05. funny enough i ordered it from the Zoo 1/05, they didn't get any of theirs until the 2nd run - mine came that Oct.

i want to keep that extra 5% that will evaporate when u hear that craack sound...a beautiful sound to some ears, but mine rings like a bell, not touching it yet.

JedimasterPaul

Silver Supporting Member
I don't need to know bad enough to do that yet. Maybe when I take it to my tech to get the setup tweaked for the gauge strings I use.

It's a killer guitar.

Heinz W

Genuine '66 Relic
Platinum Supporting Member
LOL, it won't hurt it to remove the neck! C'mon, it's a modern Strat, not a virgin '54 untouched by human hands! :nuts

How will you adjust the truss rod? BTW, you don't have to remove the neck to do that. Just loosen the strings and loosen the screws enough to tilt the neck back exposing the TR screw.

John C

Gold Supporting Member
My contacts at Fender have told me only the first 100 neck plates were in the correct order of the instrument that came off the line. After that there is no order, they've seen guitars with a neckplate number in the 100's & 200's that were actually in the high 500's of production.

The only true way to tell, as quoted above is to take the neck off and look at the date, and the body date. Mine has 2 seperate dates, but has a 10/13/2006 Assembled date written inside. Suprisingly, my body and neck were built/finished really close to each other. I've seen some where they were built about 6 months apart from each other.
Aha - I hadn't heard that about the first 100; just kind of assumed it was like any Fender with a neck plate serial number. I love this forum for things like this - always opportunities to expand your knowledge as well as share it.

Steve73

I E-mailed Fender and found that my EJ12233 was assembled 5/17/2006. Bought off eBay last month.
Interesting.... I have EJ12077. I wonder if mine is a 2006 as well. Logic would say so but if they are pulling them out of bins, who knows.....

KGWagner

Heard the first 100 or so were assembled in the custom shop. Anyone know?
I heard the first 100 were made by Panamanian virgins clad only in bikinis made of the finest Burmese kitten fur, and who were subsequently sacrificed to the volcano gods so as to never reproduce them again. But, you know how much ******** is on the internet. They probably made more than 100 of them.

Trending Topics