How to deal with knobs that move too easily under your foot?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by H_V_C, Jan 31, 2008.

1. H_V_C

H_V_C Member

Ok, I didn't know how to phrase that really, but you guys are smart, you get the idea [​IMG]

Yeah, So how do you guys get around those pedals with really loose knobs that get kicked out your settings every time you step on the damn thing? My Eternity knob settings will change at the most aweful times and I need suggestions.

Will just taking off the knob itself help this?

Thanks guys,
    Ryan

2. justonwo

justonwo Member

Are the settings getting changed because the Eternity is on a lower tier and you're hitting a pedal on an upper tier? That happens with me 1) because the Eternity is a little taller than most of my other pedals, and 2) because I don't have a big height difference between the two tiers.

Taking the knobs off the Eternity would be one great option. You could move the Eternity to the upper tier. Or you could use a platform under the pedals above the Eternity to raise them up.

3. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

ON most pedals you can loosen the set screw, then push down HARD on the knob then tighten it while applying pressure. That should jam it so it CAN be turned but will tend to stay where you put it.

4. RDM

RDM Senior Member

Someone around here uses garden hose gaskets and puts them between the pedal and the knob.

5. Dave

Dave Member

Yep, any sort of rubber washer or gasket that fits nicely will work.

6. mike@nortoncable.com

mike@nortoncable.com Member

My TS808,DS1, and zvex bor, fuzz factory pedals all had this problem. you hit the knob with your foot and loose the settings GRRR..

Get some Felt washers like 3/16" or 1/8" Thick X 3/4" DIA from McMaster Carr with a 1/8" center hole - they work great : )

http://www.mcmaster.com/param/asp/P...7645529963&ScreenWidth=1680&McMMainWidth=1468

something like that.

Put the washer on, and press the knob into the felt, it will tighten the feel of the knob and make it harder to turn..

Hope it helps :)

7. MudPies

MudPies Member

the washers tip is very very good.

if you're in a pinch and know the settings won't need to change at all during your gig you could just secure the knob with some scotch tape. Might be slightly ugly but at least you'd know you're good to go for the show.

8. justonwo

justonwo Member

You guys are good. I gotta try some of these suggestions out.

9. H_V_C

H_V_C Member

great stuff guys, I will try all of these ideas and report back with the findings.

justonwo, my E is actually on the second tier.

BTW, this of course doesn't only happen with the E, that was just an example.

Thanks again guys

-Ryan

10. Franklin

Franklin Member

I too have used thick washers, it works well!!

11. Kiwi

Kiwi Silver Supporting Member

The washers idea is great. I've been using a strip of clear adhesive tape, the two-inch-wide kind for packing boxes.

Set the knobs where they need to be, and set the big wide strip over the knobs. Touch the tape lightly and the knobs will stay put. You can see the settings, and you can lift the tape to adjust them if needed.

=K

12. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

My helpful Ace Hardware has a drawer full of a variety of round crossection rubber O rings. I bet yours does too. I have always been able to take my pedal in with the knobs removed, rummage through the O rings and find some that just fit around the pot nut and were fat enough so they touch the pedal face and the bottom of the knob. Apply a little pressure to the top of the knob when the knob set screw is tightened on the pot shaft. The result is a nice dampened feel. More pressure while tightening, more dampening (to the point of too hard to turn). Less pressure, less dampening.

The latest pedal I treated was my TBIAC. Too many knobs to keep up with and pretty easy to move em off desired settings. I've done a few pedals this way and had good long term results.

hunter

13. guildchild

guildchild Member

stomper truck tires. if you grew up in the 80's you know what i'm talking about and you're laughing right now.

14. SonicVI

SonicVI Member

I had a bunch of those, and the track too. :)

15. guildchild

guildchild Member

i "mod'd" them to be able to go fwd and reverse by clicking a little switch in my hand. the 12" wires renderred it less fun than it sounds... huh...wonder why i'm so into pedals / mods???

16. guildchild

guildchild Member

good thread though! just this past monday i clicked on the E (again...not specific to only the E, but...) and 0'd the volume. 2 bars into my solo and i'm still scrambling with my board. LAME!

i'm going to try the felt. i'd prefer something more like foam that would grab and stay better.

17. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

I've got an old dynacomp... .notorious for dial finnickiness.

dialed her in for a finger picking boost. Then I yanked off the knobs.

18. mike@nortoncable.com

mike@nortoncable.com Member

the only problem with rubber - after a while of rubbing against the square/rough edges of the pot nut it can break - and the rubber could also grip and potentially damage paint especially on some of these botique pedals with hair thin paint jobs that chip easily..

19. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

I used hose washers...works perfectly....10 for about 3 bucks at Home Depot.

[​IMG]

20. hamfist

hamfist Member

I use Blue-Tack. It's probably not called that in the US, but its the sticky stuff (usually blue) that you can stick posters on walls with, for example.
    A nice blob of it wedged up against the knob will protect from any stomping, I guarantee it !!
    It doesn't look pretty on a pedal but it sure does the job, and the knob can still be adjusted if you need to. ANother plus is that you don't have to disassemble the knobs on your pedals to do it. I've put it on loads and loads of pedals, and it always comes off again when I need it to.
    Admittedly, I'm completely into functionality rather than beauty, so it works for me. I know many of you would be horrified at the thought of it.
    For a gigging musician, it's a lifesaver, though.