how to dip into midi....

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JimH, Apr 16, 2008.

1. JimH

JimH Member

Ok let's say I know what midi is and I can play guitar and am pretty computer literate - used recording software before etc.

...what's my best/easiest way to get all that crazy midi business into my life - doesn't need to be super complicated - just struck me that putting strings/horns/keyboard sounds into a band I play with would be good - then there's the recording too.

..I need a midi pickup - into what box for live use? also into a suitable soundcard for home use right?

...is there like a go to 'peavey classic30' type unit for this, you know what I mean - does the job at the right price.

Thanks

2. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

Check out Fender's new MIDI strat.

3. JimH

JimH Member

So a GK-2 pup is the way forward?

4. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

Roland GK3 unless you really want the pickup internally installed. The GK3 is externally mounted, can be adjusted to better match your fingerboard radius, and is the least expensive option unless you look in the used market.

To make the installation less painful, you can buy a mounting plate from this ebay store: http://stores.ebay.com/Gotta-have-It

Then you just screw the pickup onto the plate instead of drilling holes into your guitar.

If you just want synth parts for live use or recording and have the budget for it (under $900 at Alto Music, about $1K elsewhere), I recommend the Roland VG-99. Most of its sounds are achieved by processing the sound of your strings (no MIDI) and thus have a more natural feel than if you were to get similar sounds via MIDI. The VG-99 excels at bass, horn, string, and organ sounds, among others. The user community includes a really great VG-99 patch designer/player who has gotten great Mellotron, B3, "Won't Get Fooled Again" synth, Moog-like synth, etc. sounds out of his '99:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=781088&content=music

Unless you have a synth already that you want to control from your guitar via MIDI, the VG-99 will probably be all you will need for a long time.

For computer recording, any decent DAW software and audio interface (card or Firewire/USB box) will do. Some audio interfaces (such as MOTU, Mackie, Digidesign MBox series) come with free DAW software.

5. JimH

JimH Member

Thanks man that's the magic bullet post I was looking for.

6. Oddos

Oddos Member

7. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

Caveats:

Fender Roland Ready Strat - need to buy separate MIDI synth, cannot use existing guitar

Axon AX-100 - nobody seems to like its internal sounds, need separate MIDI synth