How to Distinguish Malcolm Fron Angus...

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Bunky, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Bunky

Bunky Member

Just wondering how to tell when it's just malcolm playing rythm, or Angus playing open chords etc....

2. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

malcolm plays cleaner...and he is all about open chords...angus is a bit raunchier and is usually higher on th neck, barr chords...

3. Bussman

Bussman Member

Yeah Malcolm's tone is cleaner and much more aggressive. He's the sound of AC/DC IMHO.

4. V-Type

V-Type Member

Malcolm is the lower in the Mix Guitar and agree the cleaner or less gained of the tracks.
    He's a machine and highly underrated.
    When I discuss Angus I generally count Malcolm as a given part of the Subject.
    His tone sounds almost Vox'sh more so than Marshall at times on some of those early Scott fronted albums.

5. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

malcolm is the better player.

ask angus.

6. shakeshakeshake

shakeshakeshake Member

7. MCSS1970

MCSS1970 Silver Supporting Member

Totally agree. He is my favorite rhythm guitarist.

8. Bussman

Bussman Member

That sums it up nicely.

9. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Supporting Member

I play Malcolm in an AC/DC tribute band. Malcolm is indeed a machine, and nailing his parts is far harder than anyone thinks.

There is serious thought behind the parts that Malcolm and Angus play, and how they are arranged. It comes off as simple two guitar rock and roll, but the way they use different inversion, develop their parts throughout a song, create forward momentum, and build tension towards the end is pretty genius.

10. BKL71

BKL71 Member

Out of all of the cover bands (I haven't heard a full-on AC/DC tribute band yet, so I can't comment on those) that I have heard play AC/DC's songs, I have yet to hear one play the songs exactly as they sound on the albums. Like smallbutmighty pointed out, those guitar parts are far more intricate than most people think. Angus and Malcolm are both highly underrated as musicians. Most everyone loves them as songwriters, and to a somewhat lesser extent, Angus as a showman, but their ability as musicians is far too often overlooked.

11. Steve73

Steve73 Member

On the old stuff, I am pretty sure they are hard panned to either side of the mix. The guy that isn't playing lead is obviously Malcolm.

I saw them for the first time a couple of years ago and I could not believe how good Malcolm and drummer Phil Rudd were. They are groove machines, just devastating. I knew that they had important roles in the band but after seeing them live, it was very apparent.

12. hookstratton

hookstratton Member

Well said!!!! Thanks for that, it makes me want to record something!

13. Jimmy B

Jimmy B Member

Malcolm is a monster rhythm player and, in my opinion, one of the best ever. I love how he just attacks the strings and propels the riffs. I saw them a few years ago, up against the barricade, and the differences in Mal and Angus' sound/style were very apparent. It was cool to hear, and feel, their tones coming off the stage. Angus' tone was dirtier, for sure.

14. GFR4LYF

GFR4LYF Member

For me Malcolm is THE RHYTHM PLAYER in my opinion. In all the videos I've seen Malcolm is steady on in the pocket with his playing, to me his approach is to attack and propel as Jimmy B already posted. I remember growing up and being a big Bachman Turner Overdrive fan, when I got their albums the credits would always read, Randy on the right, and Blair on the left, that way you knew who were doing the solos. To bad AC/DC hasn't done that or maybe not.

15. fwguitar

fwguitar Member

Malcolm keeps his clothes on...

16. gtraddict

gtraddict Member

I agree with everyone here, Malcom is a rythem machine. Knows how to keep it going. He is the sound of AC/DC, not the image

17. Drew68

Drew68 Supporting Member

Found a pretty cool tutorial on youtube:

18. Elvis Nixon

Elvis Nixon Member

I agree. On the Bon Scott era records at least, it's usually Malcom on the left and Angus on the right side.

Listen to "Beatin Around The Bush" on Highway To Hell and you can really hear the difference since it's a little cleaner tone so you can really hear Mal's Filtertron sound vs. Angus w/ HB's.

19. Bob Maximus

Bob Maximus Silver Supporting Member

That was pretty damn cool! got to move the forearm :rimshot

20. Elvis Nixon

Elvis Nixon Member

Being the old geezer that I am, I guess my idea of "earlier stuff" may be different. Remember that anything before '76 can't be a MV 2203 since Marshall didn't make a MV amp until 1976.