How to do a good review of a Delay?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by maromad89, Sep 10, 2008.

1. maromad89

maromad89 Member

I have a Boss DD-3 that I want to sell to a guy I know, but I have to do a review of it first.

I want to cover its main functions so as to show its maximum capacity, how would you do a review on a delay (Or specifically in the DD-3), which songs would you choose to play or which kind of thing?

2. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

The guy doesn't know what a Boss DD-3 does or sounds like? Tell him to go to guitar center, they probably have 5 of them for him to try out.

3. maromad89

maromad89 Member

Im not from the USA and the guy doesn´t live in the downtown.

4. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

Alright, that makes more sense then.

5. maromad89

maromad89 Member

So... can you help me?

6. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

Not really. I mean, it's a delay. It makes an echo. That's the best way I can describe it. :D

7. maromad89

maromad89 Member

Maybe I´m a fool for trying to help with anything I can instead of bothering you when I don´t have an answer. Thank you very much.

8. drod2045

drod2045 Member

Describe the decay of the repeats - do they sound exactly as the striked note? Do they sound dirtier with each repeat? Do they stay bright or do they 'warm' up?

Describe how it sounds when playing rhythm and lead. Do the repeats get in the way of your playing or are you able to set it in the background nicely?

Basically, find a way to make the pedal sound good to your ears. Then describe what actually it is that you like about that setting you just found.

9. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

10. yellowecho

yellowecho Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJz_UuR6aCQ&feature=related
    tell him to watch that for features and stuff..
    IMO, the gearwire dude has terrible tone though.. hopefully its just the recording stuff they use:worried

i mean, the dd-3 is a digital delay and that's what it sounds like. the repeats and decays are digital and true to form.

11. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Even more specific: http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Effects/product/Boss/DD-3+Digital+Delay/10/1

There are a 148 user reviews (from people that actually own or played one) in there. Sound quality got a 9.0 which is VERY good with so many reviews...means many voted it pretty high.

Go in there, read some of the reviews and see what YOU think of them...you could point him also to these, or at least pick out what you think is a good delay review (personally for myself, I don't like them listing tons of the gear they use, but I really like when someoone tells the main things...useing a single coil, through etc. and when they get to describing features, how they use it, tone, features...etc.

12. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

here's some of my youtube input on the DD3:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59wvXJ7gt0g

Got loads more fancy ones covering U2 and floyd stuff + analogue sounds from the dd3 but I think I took them off due to even sloppier playing.

13. MartinC

MartinC Member

The boss website has demo clips of most of the Boss pedal range ... straight from the horses mouth.