How to escape WMA?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by joel, Oct 5, 2008.

1. joel

joel Member

About a month ago, a friend asked if I could record some tones from some amps I have so he could make a purchase decision. Seems simple, everyone does that nowadays! I bought a litle Lexicon Alpha interface that had Cubase 4LE bundled with it, and a Sure SM57. I've gotten to the point that I can create a wav or wma file. I'm empowered! But I can't create a CD that I can play in my stereo (redbook?), or an MP3 version. I can play the .wma file just fine, put it on a CD and play it back with my computer, but I can't escape WMA format.

Cubase LE doesn't produce redbook or mp3 files, just wav, wma, and the Apple version of that. I've got an intel/vista computer, and I've been trying to use media-player to do the burn/rip steps. Any idea how create create a normal CD or an mp3 file from a wav or wma file? Do I need some other software? Hopefully freeware?

thnx, /jd

Last edited: Oct 5, 2008
  2. guitarcec

guitarcec Member

simple, get iTunes. record to .wav, then dump the file into iTunes. then convert to mp3 using iTunes. and you're done. you can even set bitrate/sample rate, if you like. or, you can just dump the .wav's into iTunes, and then burn a CD from there. there are other programs that do the same thing, but iTunes is easy...

3. Platypus

Platypus not in rivers, but in drops Supporting Member

Just get the .wav file and encode it to mp3 yourself.

I recommend the LAME encoder.

4. paraedolia

paraedolia Member

5. joel

joel Member

I am worthess and weak! I created a wav, wma, and aif file, and iTunes claims my cubase/Audio folder is empty. Media-player can see the files though, and play them. The aif file sounds pretty bad through media-player... So I can't even import into iTunes... But if I could, what would I do to convert a file to mp3? I didn't see any obvious menu choices to do that.

I went to the LAME site, and they seem to be offering source code. So I'd have to figure out how to compile it and install it? How do I do that?

I didn't try the dpbpoweramp suggestion yet, got discouraged...

Thanks! /jd

6. Platypus

Platypus not in rivers, but in drops Supporting Member

Here you go, sorry about that.
    http://www.rarewares.org/mp3-lame-bundle.php

You have to run it command line, there may be a graphical wrapper for it but it's easier just to do it CLI in my opinion.

Open a command prompt:
    1) Navigate to the LAME.exe
    2) Run lame.exe with your command line preferences such as bitrate, the readme/help will have these parameters) then specify your source and destination file

Example:
    C:\Platypus\lame.exe --alt-preset standard -Z myfile.wav myfile.mp3

This will output myfile.mp3 in the C:\Platypus directory.. alternatively you can specify a different location as you please.
    It may seem a bit overkill and complex at first but LAME really is the best quality wise that I've found.

7. dc_jcm800

dc_jcm800 Member

SoundTaxi works well too.

8. isfahani

isfahani Member

CDex uses the LAME encoder for mp3's and you can tweak it to a fine point.
    dbPowerAmp is not bad, either. iTunes is some sort of social disease, I hear...

9. Nomadgtr

Nomadgtr Member

10. alvagoldbook

alvagoldbook Member

I use a program called Switch. It can convert from .wav to .wmv. to mp3 format. in fact, it can convert just about any format to another format, with the exception of mp4, which is what iTunes use.