How to fix bad E string nut slot?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by buddastrat, Aug 24, 2008.

1. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

I took this strat to a luthier six months or so ago and he did a setup and a bone nut. He did a great job, overall. It's just the high E had an ever slight garbled tone when played open. I just lived with it as it was very slight. Over the months it's gotten much worse. The other strings are all ringing out nice, but the high E is bad.

The string is not hitting the first fret and the tree is giving a good angle, and sufficient tension behind the nut, it's really weak and fuzzy sound when you hit the string open, unless you hit it very softly. First fret F note is nice and clear.

Can I use something (crazy glue?) to fill the slot and try to file it over? I'd take it back to the guy but it's an hour's drive, and there's really no one closer that I know of that does this stuff.

2. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

Jackson Heights Birthplace of Johnny Thunders
    my Glendale has the same problem. I took it up to an 11 gauge string and it helped but some times. I don't wan't to ship it back and risk ups so i'm going to drive it in to a tech, a new nut seems the only solution.

don't like the idea of superglue

3. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

Did you try filing behind the break point to relieve the string? Sometimes that works if the slot is a little off. If you have some bone dust, or other type of dust material pack the slot and then apply the CA glue - let it cure then refile.

4. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Thanks Mike. I will try those suggestions.