How to get a feed of a board in a live venue?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by cap217, Feb 10, 2012.

1. cap217

cap217 Supporting Member

If I want to record a 2 track for live shows, what is the best way? Just a master feed off the board? Will I notice any issues? Seems simple....

2. Reincaster

Reincaster Member

Lots of boards have a CTL room out (control room) that is usually 1/4" or RCA outs.

3. speakerjones

speakerjones Member

I'm assuming you mean your own shows...
    The best way is to ask the sound guy politely as early as possible, perhaps before you go to the venue, if he has an extra output he can feed to you. Thing is though, you're only going to get what's coming off the stereo masters. So if the drums or guitar are really loud in the room, not much will be going through the board, and therefore your recording will end up mostly vocal. I much prefer a stereo pair of condenser mics in the room getting the sound of the PA and the band coming off the stage.

4. Rex Anderson

Rex Anderson Member

If you're doing it yourself (or you can pay the soundman extra) and you have a pair of extra aux sends, you can set up a recording mix that is separate from the mains and monitor mixes.

5. rokpunk

rokpunk Member

if the engineer tries to charge you for a board feed, he's an asshole.
    get there early, buy him a beer, and ask for a 2 track out for your recorder.
    it will take him literally 30 seconds to hook you up.

6. greggorypeccary

greggorypeccary Member

Spot on. A board feed at a local bar gig will likely sound like crap. I played a blues gig with an old friend of mine last week. We don't get together often so I recorded it for fun. The pair of condensers I set up in the room sounded surprisingly good.

Best bet would be using a Zoom h4n so you can use the mics to get the sound in the room+ a board feed to get strong vocals, kick drum & whatever else is in there, which you can then mix together afterward.

7. johnfv

johnfv Member

Yes, unless it is a really large venue and/or your drums and amps are rather quiet, the PA mix will not be very balanced. A stereo pair of condenser mics or one of the many portables can give you a decent recording of what is really happening in the room (but you also can end up with a lot of crowd noise). Quite a bit more ambitious than the OP's question: I have a live recording rig with an Alesis HD24 disk recorder and mic pres in a 6 space rack and short splitter snake in a 3 space rack. I just place my splitter near the house snake and get multitrack recordings direct from the mics that I can mix at my leisure...