how to get a tele switch tip to stay on

Polynitro

here are two ways:

1. a piece of rubber band laid across and then smush the tip down on top of it.
only trick is you want the proper length as to not leave any sticking out (see 3rd pic. you could trim this with a razor or just redo with shorter rubber band piece)

2. take a small pliers and bend the metal a tad, you want a little burr
in the metal which will grab onto the plastic tip. then gently hammer the tip on with the rubber handle of pliers.

you should now be able to pick the guitar up by
the tip its on so well.

7lbs tele

8lbs tele

CyberFerret

Good tip. I had used plumbers tape wrapped around the post before, but still kept losing the tip to hard bumps.

Ended up getting a metal tip with a set screw like the photo above ^^^ It should arrive any day now...

Chris Scott

As a repair guy and builder (and fairly brutal player that sweats a lot) the best for me is a pretty simple one - one drop of med. viscosity cyano placed on the top edge of the switch post, and quickly slide the tip home and you're done. It CAN be removed, just needs a bit more force than normal usage would inflict.

...ymmv of course.

KOG

The rutters has my vote so far.

Hell I have even used construction adhesive/Liquid Nails to no avail. :thud

Whiskeyrebel

Silver Supporting Member
As a repair guy and builder (and fairly brutal player that sweats a lot) the best for me is a pretty simple one - one drop of med. viscosity cyano placed on the top edge of the switch post, and quickly slide the tip home and you're done. It CAN be removed, just needs a bit more force than normal usage would inflict.

...ymmv of course.
And as a bonus, the cyano will whisper the lyrics to you when you blank out, because it's too self-conscious to sing for itself.

No wait, I'm thinking of Cyrano.

Chris Scott

And as a bonus, the cyano will whisper the lyrics to you when you blank out, because it's too self-conscious to sing for itself.

No wait, I'm thinking of Cyrano.
I like that you used "when", rather than "if" - I gather you've seen us before?...:)

RTR

I always thought this was like the age old question "how many licks does it take to get to the tootsie roll center of a tootsie pop".

The world may never know.

Sean French

I've always used a drop or two of clear nail polish. Well, any color works the same.
Been doing that since the mid 80's. Works wonderfully.
Not an issue to take the tip of when needed either.

Fu Schnickens

I use a Strat style tip on my tele. Never a problem yet! When I have a problem eventually, though, these "tips" are great. Thanks!

Another tip for the glue users - you should scuff the blade, and inside the tip if possible, for better adhesion.

Clean Channel

Well, I've always used a bit of electrical tape, wrapped around the switch, then the tip pressed firmly down.

However, I've never seen that Rutters set screw knob before. I'll be ordering one momentarily... Will update when it arrives and I've given it a try.

Last edited:

Seegs

I've always used a drop or two of clear nail polish. Well, any color works the same.
Been doing that since the mid 80's. Works wonderfully.
Not an issue to take the tip of when needed either.
^This works great!

Chow,
Seegs

Eagle1

The one I use is nip the edges with your fret cutters ( as if you were trying to cut the end off but from either edge.) This makes a burr on the metal under the tip which holds it firm but allows it to be removed cleanly.

mellecaster

The one I use is nip the edges with your fret cutters ( as if you were trying to cut the end off but from either edge.) This makes a burr on the metal under the tip which holds it firm but allows it to be removed cleanly.
^^^ This, or you can use Diagonal cutters...The objective is to create sharp burrs on the edge of the blade, which in turn grips the plastic. Been doin it this way for years.

Trending Topics