How To Get Audio Out of Garageband w/MOTU 828?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by R Anderson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. R Anderson

R Anderson Member

I am in my 1st year with DP/AudioDesk and MOTU 828. I have had excellent results to this point recording real audio. However, I am using Garageband and Apple Loops/Jam Pack for my drum backings. Love It.

After I have found and mixed a usable loop for practice or recording purposes I cannot figure out how to get this audio out to another device such as a line out to a mixer or line out to my BOSS BR-864 for more portable practice etc.

Is there such a thing as multiple "main outs"?

I am not asking how to get it into DP (which I believe is a drag and drop solution) and I would prefer not to export it to itunes/MP3.

Is there a "line out" or similar solution?
    Thanks!

Russell

2. mike@switchback

mike@switchback Member

I'm not sure I completely understand your question, but why not just play back the audio in GB, running a physical cable from your mac's output (or 828) to the Boss and record it on the Boss?

3. R Anderson

R Anderson Member

Ratter, thanks for your response and I apologize for my lack of clarity.

OK, I can run a physical cable from my 828 (which has 4 stereo pairs of outputs + main outs) into the BOSS. But it appears that I will need to unplug my mains and use the main outs to go to the BOSS to do so. No huge deal I guess but it would be nice to utilize the additional stereo outs of the 828 but I cannot figure out how to route the sound to those additional outs. In DP/AD the tracks are assignable to various outs but apparently not in GB.

Do people ever run their mains to a switch box where you manually direct to several optional outs instead of utilizing the additional outs on their interface?

Thanks
    Russell

4. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

5. mike@switchback

mike@switchback Member

I don't have my 828 plugged in at the moment, so I can't check it myself from here....but does either the Firewire Cuemix Console application or the Sound preferences in System Preferences let you designate another pair of outputs to be the "main" pair? I want to say yes, but again, can't check it at the moment...

6. R Anderson

R Anderson Member

Ratter, I looked in the Cuemix Console last night but could not find an assignment option. You likely know the program better than I so when you do get hooked up let me know if you find something. In the meantime I will take another look. I did not look at the sound preferences, I'll check it out tonight as well.

Denyle Guitars - the switcher option looks real good (and easy) to me. I'm going to investigate a little further.

Thank you both.
    Russell

7. Unburst

Unburst Member

GarageBand routes to the ouputs set as the default output in the MOTU Firewire console.

Open the Firewire console and hit the 828 button at the top.
    Look in the list and you'll see a pull down menu for Default Stereo Outputs.
    Select the output you want to use and Garageband will play through it.
    You may need to restart GarageBand.

Remember to reset the Default output when you're done.

8. R Anderson

R Anderson Member

Knowledge is a beautiful thing!

So, there is a Firewire CueMix Console AND a MOTU Firewire Console. The default setting is in the MOTU Firewire Console.

Thanks to all of you (I still like that switcher idea)!
    Russell

9. mike@switchback

mike@switchback Member

That's it!

828 is a great piece of gear, isn't it? I got mine in trade here at TGP for my Mbox and couldn't be happier.

10. R Anderson

R Anderson Member

ratter

Yes, the 828 is outstanding! Although I will never be mistaken for a studio engineer I am really pleased at how clean and pure the sound is. Do you use DP or AudioDesk? Any experience with the MOTU Mach Five?

Russell

11. Unburst

Unburst Member

I have Mach Five and it's outstanding for me

It can by a little fiddly and the UI is not as user friendly as I'd like but a software based sampler than can import pretty much any format of samples and programs?
    Priceless.