How to get best use out of Compressor?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Bunky, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Bunky

Bunky Member

I generally understand how a compressor work, but when should you be using it? Rythm, lead? Also if playing classic rock 60's 70's ala The Who/Pete Townshend, how would he use his compressor?

2. Delayed Delay

Delayed Delay Member

I would use a compressor to compress my notes; that's how I'd use it. ;)

But Srsly... I sorta get your question, but isn't stuff like this best left for figuring out by each respective player? Most compressors, dirts, and fuzzes aren't complicated at all, so isn't asking people how they use them kinda redundant?

Otoh... This is TGP. I get it. A compressor, for me at least, can be used for either. Want a little added clarity in your heavier chords? Perfect for rhythm. Want to make your single notes sustain a little longer? Perfect for lead.

3. jocfan1

jocfan1 Member

My two cents: I leave my comp on all the time. But I also only use it to tighten the sound up a bit, not for a huge amount of squeeze.

4. scolfax

scolfax Member

I only use mine for clean tones. I like the uneven-ness of uncompressed distorted guitar.

5. Muzzy

Muzzy Supporting Member

I have a Diamond that's on all the time. I use it to make my sound smoother and greasier.

6. cribcage

cribcage Member

Agreed. Some players use compressors as an always-on part of their sound. Others use them only for leads to add sustain, or only for rhythm parts to change their sound slightly. Some players like heavy compression, others prefer slight. Manufacturers recommend putting compressors before overdrive, and putting them after overdrive. Etc. And that doesn't even get into the several different types/flavors of compressor.

There is no "best" way to use a compressor. Experiment and find what works for you.

7. Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus Member

:agree

However, the Diamond is pretty unique in this regard; most compressors are terrible at this. Also, I sometimes throw heavier compression on my clean signal, especially for rhythm-y type stuff.

8. StratStringSlinger

StratStringSlinger Member

I like using it to help picking parts pop out a little more.

9. gear007

gear007 Member

I use it for solos.

10. josh_w

josh_w Member

I have a Barber Tone Press that's on all the time. In addition to adding a little clarity and sustain to my tone, is also helps me keep different guitars at similar levels when I swap during a set.

11. d3nzi0

d3nzi0 Member

THIS. I use mine to keep levels similar when swapping guitars during a set. And I do keep mine on all the time as well.

12. x-ray specs

x-ray specs Member

I use mine when I want to add a bunch of noise to my signal and sound really unprofessional. ;) ;)

13. UncleLarry

UncleLarry Member

14. UncleLarry

UncleLarry Member

Compression sounds great with a little modulated delay for clean finger-picked stuff.

15. Occam

Occam Member

The best compressor is a loud amp...that's the one your favorite guitar players used.

16. JoeE

JoeE Member

Compressor for picking clean tones only - makes it sound fuller

17. x-ray specs

x-ray specs Member