1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

How to get Byrds / McGuinn / Petty / REM jangle tones from Gibson 335 ?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by d l x r e v e r b, May 20, 2011.

1. d l x r e v e r b

d l x r e v e r b Member

What effects could be used if already owning a Gibson 335 and wanting to play the jangle of Byrds / McGuinn / Beatles / Tom Petty / REM but trying not to spend the major money for a Rickenbacher as an additional guitar ?

I assume the semi-hollow design of the 335 guitar is a step in the right direction toward emulating the tone of a Rickenbacher.

I assume a Janglebox compressor would be part of the answer even if owning a Rickenbacher, but if used with a 335 would the tone end up only sounding like a 335 played through a compressor ? Or , is the Janglebox a dominant enough part of the tone the 335 could be used instead of a Rick to create a reasonable facsimile of the Byrds / McGuinn / Beatles / Tom Petty / REM jangle tones ?

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  2. ((TechnicolorSkyline))

((TechnicolorSkyline)) Supporting Member

335 into an AC30 and you'll have jangle all day long!

As far as effects though, the Zvex SHO gave me tons of jangle when using other amps and not playing into my AC30.

3. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

there's an acoustic bit to it to tho, something about that odd (semi?) hollowbody with single coil toasters that make it a RIC chime versus any other chime. an ES-335 with a full solid block and buckers can sound sparkly, but it won't ever be a RIC chime, sadly. i can get my country gent kinda sparklyish in the middle position and fiddling with the vol knobs, then kicking in the compressor...but it's still not a RIC sound.

edit - john phillips of TGP said this of the 360:

"The construction is unusual. It's a semi-hollow, with a center block that only runs from the neck to about the front of the bridge pickup; the neck is inset most of the way into this, with a very long tenon. The body itself is made from a solid block of wood, routed out from the back, and with the back itself glued over the top (which is why the binding is around the back edge of the body)."

4. Devin

Devin Low Voltage Supporting Member

you may need to change pickups. The 335 body uses allot of maple so that helps.

5. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

I would try light strings and a compressor.

6. Stratobuc

Stratobuc Member

Here's something that gets overlooked a lot - the pick you use. A thinner one will give you more jangle.

7. goodhonk

goodhonk Member

you need a 12 string.

8. Bluedano1

Bluedano1 Member

All of the tones referenced above IMO have the marriage of Three components : Hollow or semi-hollow guitars, pickups that were bright regardless of single coils or the Gretsh hmubuckers, and those qualities going into VOX amps- I really don't think you get this w a 335 and its semi- hollow contruction which is as much about the weight reducing of an LP as it is "acoustic resonance" (which it has, but it ain't an acoustic!) and its PAF style hums....Maybe a good EQ and some Overdrive together to kind of create the right tone profile, think that has to come before worrying about compression - maybe an EQ and the Tech 21
    Liverpool??

9. juice

juice Member

Try a Janglebox compressor. Great pedal that will nail that sound.

10. vanguard

vanguard Member

i have a ric 330, but i can get just as REM with a tele or strat through a menatone TBIAC. remember, REM, at least, were still using fender amps on a lot of their most iconic recordings. a good blackface fender'll jangle all night with british alnicos and the right pedal (menatone!)

11. Steve Hotra

Steve Hotra Silver Supporting Member

Don't know if its possible. I own a 335 dot and love that sound. I'm sorta there with my Mesa Express 5:25. I think a Ric is the way to go.

12. jb1911

jb1911 Member

A little bit of chorus.

13. fuzzface71

fuzzface71 Supporting Member

You need one of these

[​IMG]

14. greyhound

greyhound Supporting Member

TV Jones makes Filtertrons that are humbucker sized and a drop in replacement for your 335. I used to have a Heritage 535 and had the TV Jones Filtertrons installed and it was a great sounding guitar that sounded more like a Gretsch than the Gretsch 6119 I owned at the time. Played it through a Deluxe Reverb and it had plenty of chime and jangle.

15. muddy

muddy Member

janglebox; it's based on the components in mcguinn's ricks...

ml

16. d l x r e v e r b

d l x r e v e r b Member

Thanks for replies so far.

(1) Picks and strings
    As simple as it sounds, using lighter gauge strings and thinner picks does create a noticeable more jangle tone. It's been a long time since playing that way , but I remember storing it in my head as a useful tone. Thanks for reminding.

(2) ElectroHarmonix Micro POD harmonizer , or chorus
    I assume this harmonizer would create an octave note above both the B string and the high E string , two additional sounds which are not part of a 12 string guitar because these two strings are identical rather than adding an octave string. Micro POD might be A LOT of jangle, but Amazon review by player of 6 string Ric says he uses the Micro POD to create a 12 string sound.

I assume a chorus effect could provide the doubling ambiance for a 12 string effect instead of using a harmonizer , and the highest two strings would not add the extra jangle of two new octaves.

17. Theroyalconsort

Theroyalconsort Member

Actually the pog2 would do it....

Just a touch of 2 octave up will give you it....

18. CodeMonk

CodeMonk Member

Awhile back I read a Tom Petty interview.
    There was a bit about Roger saying something about how Tom managed to matched Rogers sound.
    Can't remember the exact words but Tom said that he and Mike (Campbell), would play the same chords, but different inversions to get the sound.

19. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

Hey, great point. You should re-voice your parts with a capo on. The whole POG thing would ultimately frustrate me.

20. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

You also might try raising the screws for the high E and B strings and dropping the A and E down a bit...