• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

How to get creamy "warren Haynes" tone overdrive/distortion?

Nevada240

What are some good dirt pedals to get that nice creamy tone of Warren Haynes? Also, will I ever be able to get creamy tones using a fender twin or do I need a darker amp? Thanks

lv

Silver Supporting Member
I get them with a strat, a morgan dag15 with celestion blue and a wampler slostortion. I am a huge warren haynes fan and the slostortion is the closest you can get without having an SLO. I will try to get a clip together soon. Are you referring to the tones off the 1st gov't mule album?

Nevada240

Yea, all the way up through "high and mighty", I feel like his tones changes just a little bit album to album but overall stays the same. I actually have a SLO and although it gets me closest than any of my other pedals, I can't be satisfied...maybe you can help me work it correctly...I must be doing something wrong, I'm even using a les Paul standard. Thanks

SirGilmour

Silver Supporting Member
I've gotten very close with my fender deluxe reverb and my les Paul. The trick is to turn the treble, mid , bass to ten on the amp and roll off the tone on your guitar all the way and add a good overdrive. It's something I read Clapton used to do when he played a les Paul. Very cool smooth creamy tone.

PS. That video of him with Dave Mathews is exactly what I'm talking about!

vegetablejoe

SD Pearly Gates pickups help me get a "High and Mighty"-like tone in my Greco LP copy (to my ears at least). I use a Classic 30 amp and various types of od pedals.

wundergussy

Silver Supporting Member
I've gotten very close with my fender deluxe reverb and my les Paul. The trick is to turn the treble, mid , bass to ten on the amp and roll off the tone on your guitar all the way and add a good overdrive. It's something I read Clapton used to do when he played a les Paul. Very cool smooth creamy tone.

PS. That video of him with Dave Mathews is exactly what I'm talking about!
Your DR has a mids knob? ;)

eknapier

turn the amp tone all the way up and the guitar tone knob all the way down? Does anyone do this? Sounds odd to me, like you'd kinda be choking the guitar in an effort to get good tone out of it. But i'm a tone knob on 10 kinda guy (or no tone knob at all).

SirGilmour

Silver Supporting Member
I was a tone on ten guy for years and years until I read about Claptons woman tone. It never hit me to do what I described in the earlier post and its not something to do all the time necessarily. Just a cool smooth overdrive sound. Not sure why you think it would be choking the guitar. Now I play with my tone knobs all the time. Believe it or not there are a lot of different sounds to be had just by tweaking the tone knobs.

Cheers

dmagalhaes

Silver Supporting Member
What I'm hearing in that clip is the sound of those power tubes saturating and the only way I know of to get that is playing at high volume.

fritferret

you've got to soak your pups in evaporated milk for 24 to 48 hours. string, too. then soak your fingers in warm cream for an hour before each show. those are the secrets.

eknapier

i'll have to try it... 'choking' is how it sounds like usually when I turn down the tone on my guitar, like the treble is being choked out of the circuit. Then again I usually set my amp with just enough treble with the guitar's tone knob all the way up. So i'll definitely try this sound sometime, can't say I've ever tried this....

weshunter

Gold Supporting Member
i'll have to try it... 'choking' is how it sounds like usually when I turn down the tone on my guitar, like the treble is being choked out of the circuit. Then again I usually set my amp with just enough treble with the guitar's tone knob all the way up. So i'll definitely try this sound sometime, can't say I've ever tried this....
i've never tried this either, but it sounds interesting. i usually keep the bass down pretty low on my DR.

SirGilmour

Silver Supporting Member
This is from Gibsons site. I know it isn't warren Haynes but its a similar sound. And why is there an angry face above this?!

Zeroing in on “Woman Tone” isn’t rocket science. That would be easier. There’d be a precise formula that would work for everyone, and no mojo factor. Nonetheless, a powerful neck-position pickup is essential. Start by turning your guitar’s tone dials all the way off. Next, place the pickup selector switch in the middle position. Now roll the bridge pickup’s volume to about six or seven, and crank the neck pickup all the way up to 10.

Amp choice is crucial too, although a carefully selected high-quality distortion pedal can turn some tiny practice rigs into snarling monsters. Clapton used heavy artillery: a Marshall 50-watt head through a 4x12 cabinet with 25-watt Celestion greenback speakers running full out — volume, bass, midrange and treble all set on 10. And while an electronic amplifier — especially one that emulates tube distortion — can get the job done, one of “Woman Tone’s” key elements is the smooth, creamy distortion that only tubes provide.

Roe

This is from Gibsons site.
...Clapton used heavy artillery: a Marshall 50-watt head through a 4x12 cabinet with 25-watt Celestion greenback speakers running full out — volume, bass, midrange and treble all set on 10. And while an electronic amplifier — especially one that emulates tube distortion — can get the job done, one of “Woman Tone’s” key elements is the smooth, creamy distortion that only tubes provide.
should have been 100w and 20w, respectively

SirGilmour

Silver Supporting Member
True but for the sake if this thread I think the EQ and tone knobs are the important thing. As well as a good overdriven amp or OD pedal.

Trending Topics