How to get features/versatility out of my Quickrod

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by peckhart, May 23, 2015.

1. peckhart

peckhart Member

I gigged an 09 QR with an 80s rock cover band for a few years and when I left the band I sold the QR and matching small block 4x12 to my drummer.
    Just got back into a band again and tried going about it with two different amps looking for versatility and neither cut it for different reasons. We do a much wider variety of songs (90s rock, pop, classic rock, modern country) and a lot more that requires lower gain and less aggressive tones, but at the end of the day I wanted the QR back. So I got it back from him and I am now trying to figure out how to run a few different things.
    Clean should be fine for as much as I use clean tones.
    I never tried to dial in mid gain type tones before, but just jammin low vol last night I found Gear 1/OD 1 w/gain at noon felt pretty good.
    I still love Gear 2 though and can see using it a lot along with Gear 3 for more modern heavy stuff.
    Since even the 4 button switch, which I haven't invested in yet, can't get to all the gears I am considering adding in a Bogner Blue for low/mid gains and then the 4 button switch. Or maybe if occasionally switching gears on the head isn't a big deal I will stick to the 3 button I have....or get the 4 button and not the Bogner and let it sit controlling gears 1 and 2 and switch to 3 on the head the few times I need to.
    The other thing is with solo boosting. In many cases using the on board boost that takes you into OD2 is cool, but i may want to only boost volume on an OD1 tone w/out engaging OD2. Run a boost in the loop for that? I kind of wish the foot switch didn't do that auto OD2 activation.

2. BoneSaw

BoneSaw Member

I'm using mine with a Digitech RP1000 using the 4 cable method. For higher gain stuff I'm using the Gear 1 or 2 with the gain at around 10 and the RP for delays and modulation effects in the loop. For cleans and low gain crunch I'm using the RP amp models with effects. With the RP you can program each preset to either use the amps preamp or the RP's preamp.When you use the RP's it routes it through the efffects return bypassing the amps preamp so even if you have the amp on the dirty channel you can dial up a clean preset on the RP with one stomp giving you the clean tone even though the amp on is on the dirty channel. This allows me to go from say a heavy dry distortion to a clean sound with delay and chorus with one stomp, or from a clean with tremolo and reverb straight to a lead patch with delay and phaser, instead of having to switch the amps channel and then switch your effects on which is impossible to do in a split second mid song. This is invaluable for cover band since you may need 3 or 4 sounds for one song.

Last edited: May 23, 2015
  3. peckhart

peckhart Member

That's cool. I used to do the same with a GSP 1101 and a Marshall vintage modern. I have POD HD500 that could accomplish the same, but I think I want to keep it more simple with just my pedal board up front.