How to Get Fender Rhodes Sound?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by pcutt, Apr 29, 2008.

1. pcutt

pcutt Member

I'm looking for a pedal/effect to get a Fender Rhodes sound with my Strat and clean-ish amp. I did a search of this forum and didn't find anything definitive, just a hint that a POG might work. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. soulsonic

soulsonic Member

MIDI guitar + Sampler
    Fill it with a Rhodes samplebank and you're guaranteed to get a Rhodes sound.

3. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

Use your fingers/neck pickup.
    Maybe add some tasteful vibrato or phaser.

Don't know of a pedal...

4. serviviente7

serviviente7 Supporting Member

i get a good rhode sound using my ts-1, my chorus and my dd-2. I will ck to see if i have a clip of it and posted. It has been a long time since i recorded that clip.

5. emeka

emeka Member

That'll be tough... Have you ever looked inside a Rhodes or checked out how it works? Piano hammers strike metal tines which then resonate sympathetically with metal tonebars above them. Each note has its own pickup. Essentially, you're attempting to make a string instrument sound like an electronic vibraphone (sort of). The phaser suggestions are cool (Zawinul gets a great sound with his rhodes and mutron bi-phase on the weather report at montreux dvd). Some sort of light ring mod to add the metallic element might help. You'd have to use your fingers, and maybe even tap some to get the attack right. Good luck on that one...

6. bilbal

bilbal Member

Man I just love Rhodes tones. I bit of a departure from the OP, hope you don't mind... Check this out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oe_xSG_ic-c

With reference to the OP, I have a phaser setting on my TC Electronic G Major II and run it along with my Super Chorus (CH-1) and then added a bit of a cocked-back Budda BudWah to the mix. I have always heard a little bit of a filter tone in Rhodes, I could be wrong. It's not "the" Rhodes tone but it's definitely a Rhodes guitar tone. As mentioned, I think the phaser/chorus thing is a must to get anywhere near it but try a wah to get that hollow sound, if you know what I mean.

7. cedjazz

cedjazz Member

That's a tough one, but the old Boss CE2 comes close for me. Maybe not quite a Rhodes sound, but a great electric keyboardish sound.

8. Iggster

Iggster Member

The Rhodes makes use of a stereo tremolo that you can bring in or out with the flip of a switch. Other than a guitar midi synth, not sure what could achieve the actual "piano" type tone.

9. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Yes .. the Roland GR-22 has wonderful Rhodes tones with a great deal of variations ..

10. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

+1. However, I don't hear it as trem. "THE" rhodes effect is more of a stereo pan/ping pong delay effect. You'd need a stereo dual amp rig to pull that off.

Other than that you need to cop some piano/organ style phrasing. Ray Charles is a good place to start.