How to get my EJ strat to feel a little slinkier?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by skydawg, Oct 14, 2008.

1. skydawg

skydawg Member

My EJ strat sounds great and i love the neck but i wish it were a little more slinky.would having my trem set to float have any effect towards achieving this?

2. Heinz W

Heinz W Genuine '66 Relic Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, it will help. It did mine. If that doesn't work well enough you might want to consider using lighter strings as well.

3. winkofaneye

winkofaneye Member

Yes,definately.Also check the trussrod.I like my trem plates parallel to the body,with three trem springs not 4/5.All strats have a sweet spot where they feel just right-not too tight,not too loose.

4. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Switch necks. Seriously, it's the neck itself. Probably a combo of 1/4 sawn, shallow headstock, thick finish, low frets, no tree. I float all my trems, so it was already floating. All that does is make you bend further to compensate for the bridge pull. So the stiffy feel is still there.

I tried lots of mods, the best was shimming up the neck and getting the saddles as low as possible to maintain action and give less angle. But still I could put .011's on a vintage strat and it'd play slinkier than .010's on an EJ. As soon as I put another neck on the EJ it was very easy to play and didn't have that tight hi-fi tone and feel any longer.

It is what it is.

5. uOpt

uOpt Member

I assume you already tried thinner strings and low action, right?

Then you are screwed by the neck.

The V neck is normally a thing improving comfort, but not in combination with a flat fretboard and large frets.

It is pretty certain that you need to go to a rounder fretboard and regular frets if you can't tackle the EJ. Or to a shorter scale.

6. Curly

Curly Member

this is the first I've heard that there is a problem with the playability of EJs, other than the neck finish

before making any changes, I would first get out the owner's manual (or find it online), then go through and take measurements to see where your at.
    it's possible that you might only need a slight tweak on the trussrod

however, be thorough and take all the measurements first. I've found that on strats, one thing has an effect on the others, so it's a matter of finding what works for you

for example, logically you might think lowering the saddles makes for easier playability, but as you lower the saddle, you lower the pitch, so you need to increase tension with the tuner to compensate. there is a point that will feel right to you, both in tension and playability

7. Stratofuzz

Stratofuzz Supporting Member

my solution was;
    9.5 strings
    string tree
    3 springs in tremolo

plays as slinky as my Hamer with 24 3/4 scale that has 10's.

8. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

I used 11-49s and 3 springs and I never really felt mine was tight. It played fine.