How to get rights for movie audio snippets used in my song?

Bobo Fret

Whatchyou lookin' at?
How do I get the rights to use audio snippets from a movie in one of my songs?

Do I even need to? I want to post a couple of my songs with audio samples from movies to MySpace / Reverbnation. Songs that I wrote and recorded at home, by myself. None of it published.

Do I seriously need to get written permission from George Lucas to use the audio clip from THX 1138?

Seriously, though:

Do I even need to? I want to post a couple of my songs with audio samples from movies to MySpace / Reverbnation. Songs that I wrote and recorded at home, by myself. None of it published.

Yeah, you probably do need to.

If the songs appear on the websites you mention, they are published.

Do I seriously need to get written permission from George Lucas to use the audio clip from THX 1138?

Probably.

You may have no trouble from anyone, but, if someone sampled one of your songs, would they need your permission?

jay42

I would contact the Harry Fox Agency and see if they handle this sort of thing. Big Audio Dynamite did this a lot and I thought it was cool.

Bobo Fret

Whatchyou lookin' at?
I figured I'd need permission. It was kind of a rhetorical question.

I had looked on the Harry Fox website as well as Limelight and saw no mention of movie-related material, so I wasn't really sure how to approach it. Who to contact, and such.

tiktok

Silver Supporting Member
I figured I'd need permission. It was kind of a rhetorical question.

I had looked on the Harry Fox website as well as Limelight and saw no mention of movie-related material, so I wasn't really sure how to approach it. Who to contact, and such.

It will be jaw-droppingly expensive. I was in a band where one guy would drop samples into our live jams, and the clearance rights were five figures once all was said and done.

Bobo Fret

Whatchyou lookin' at?
Jeez. Fuggedaboutit. Not worth it for my piddly-ass projects. I'll just edit it all out for MySpace, etc.

In the spirit of TGP, I will spend all the money I saved on a new guitar.

I mean, why take it out? Just put them in there and fuggetaboutit... stick to your fair use guns and let them come after you... which they won't unless you are some sort of popular musician or artist with a significant following. Even then, they will just issue a take down or send you a cease and desist. If you didn't sell the song, then they'd be hard presses to prosecute you for damages. The music does have to be weaved in with the movie samples or they can just get you for pirating though.

Actually just put it on youtube and let them worry about it. They pay for the rights to display all sorts of content... myspace and reverbnation do not. It's the perfect fair use outlet for a myriad of digital content. You'd be surprised to know how much youtube pays for it's customers fair use. If the auto censors flag it, then you may even not have to remove it since they pay to host this kind of stuff.

It's a kind of doublespeak where you on one hand agree to not upload any content that you do not have the rights to own and on the other where they pay Warner Brothers, Fox/Searchlight, Universal Studios bulk royalty rates to host their material within "fair use" context. Youtube is a HUGE fair use ally and you shouldn't feel uncomfortable with utilizing their hosting services for your own fair use content. Youtube will let you know what it feels it can host and what it feels it cannot.

Cheers!

Bobo Fret

Whatchyou lookin' at?
Hmmm...I didn't know all that about Youtube. Pretty interesting.

So what's the normal sequence of events if you are ever called out on something like this? Do "they":

1. Make you take it down
2. Slap you with a lawsuit?
3. Make you pay what you would have paid had you done it right in the first place?

Top Bottom