How to get started playing with others

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by bluesman, Apr 19, 2008.

1. bluesman

bluesman Member

What's the best way to do this? I've posted here asking if people in my area want to get together and play some blues but I only got a couple of responses that never panned out. I've thought about looking for some jam nights, but I've heard a lot of bad stuff about that kind of thing. Lots of hacks, lots of egos, etc.

What's the best way to find people to play with? :confused:

2. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

Blues man we are very similar, we work for a large tech company, most of the people I have been playing with are people from work, you would be suprised how many play guitar, or some other instrument, or have a band looking for people to join in, as long as your open minded about the music you can make lots of friends, you will find a lot only play a certain type of music, so be open minded and remember its being able to play with your friends that is important.

What worked for me was to hang a Guitar Calendar up in my office where people could see it, lets people know you play, and you would be suprised how many play guitar and are looking for people to play with. We would get together at someones house regularly and just play together, its very safe and you can learn from each other.

3. lhallam

lhallam Member

Go to some open mics, meet folks, get their numbers. Often times guys know other musicians to turn you onto.

Having a place to play helps.

Craigslist will get some hits.

4. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

That's where I got my start.

Go first as an "observer," until you get the lay of the land, understand the personalities, egos, etc., then slowly work your way into things. It can be a lot of fun!

I've met a ton of folks that way, and it always led to meeting even more and more folks.

Good luck with it!

5. bluesman

bluesman Member

Guys, I'm sorry I took so long to acknowledge your responses. Thanks for the suggestions.

I did call a guy that I work with because I know he's a bass player. But he's not into playing much right now because of family obligations. But I asked him to keep an ear open for others he might now who would be interested.

I'm going to check Craigslist again and see if I find anything there. I'll also look around for some open mic nights in the area.

Thanks again.

6. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

One thing I just remembered, take an acoustic guitar and play it out in the front yard in the summer time, or by the pool if you live in an apartment, we had a neighbor acoustic guitar jam that lasted a few years a while back, 5 or 6 would just get together and play acoustics every evening, it was great, meet my neighbors and it was an every day thing for us. It really does not take long and you really don't have to be a great guitar player, people will see you playing and will join in.

7. ?&!

?&! Member

Wow, I've never even thought about this before. A friend and I both decided to start playing when we were 13. We met a couple more kids, started a band, and pretty much all my friends have been musicians for the last 23 years. I've usually got too many people I can play with! I suppose Craigslist is probably where I would start if I were in your situation. Another suggestion is to see if any of your current friends has any interest in learning an instrument, whether it's guitar or something else. Then you can mold them to your will. ;-) Good luck!!!

8. bluesman

bluesman Member

Tempting thought to be able to mold someone, but I'm looking for people who are at least at or above my level.

I wish I had been in your situation when I was 13 but I grew up out in the sticks of Iowa so all I had around me were cows and pigs.

9. ?&!

?&! Member

Another fellow former Iowan! I grew up in the Quad Cities, which isn't exactly the sticks, but I definitely sympathize. My Uncle owns Catamount Recording Studio in Cedar Falls, so I was lucky to be exposed to some amazing players there when I would visit as a kid. I swear, amazing guitarists grow on trees in Iowa. Must be the utter lack of anything else to do! Good luck in your search for bandmates. :)

Oh yeah, if you can't hook up with anybody through the other means people here have suggested, re-visit the notion of training one of your friends from scratch. A lot of people that have been in bands for a long time will tell you, friendship and a good attitude from a bandmate sometimes goes a lot further than skill or experience. I can usually get a band member up to speed on their instrument if they need some help (I'm a guitar teacher), but you can't teach somebody to be a decent human being. If you already like the person you're playing with, that takes a major hurdle out of the way. Some of the best musicians I've ever played with were beginners when they joined up.

10. bisticles

bisticles Member

I like the idea of posting something at work. That will make sure that you'll at least start out with people with the same type of time commitments. After college, I tried out for a couple of different local bands, and they all ended up either being so casual that nothing ever progressed, or so serious that they wanted two 5-hour practices a week, which I just couldn't do.

Finally, I paired up with a guy in my department who had similar expectations of an after-work group, and we've been rocking out for a while now with a few other people.

11. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Another idea might be to go to the local guitar store where they offer lessons, and check in with some of the teachers about students who are looking to find others to play with.

As a part time teacher, I am regularly helping students find other like minded/level players to hook up with. Nothing seems to accelerate our learning like getting together with others. Good luck

12. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

13. bluesman

bluesman Member

:BEER

I grew up outside (as in, a few miles) of the booming metropolis of Redfield, IA. The population in 2000 was 833, not including the sheep.

But I moved to Des Moines (don't pronounce the S's) for my last two years of high school. During this time I met an outstanding guitarist and singer named Rod Chaffee. He was my first guitar influence and still is today. I just hooked up with him for the first time in 15+ years. He's a very, very talented and tasty player with a fantastic voice that has never hit it really big, but should have. He's done well for himself overall, but what can you expect in Des Moines.

Anyway, I'm going to go to his rehearsals whenever I can and play with them. So that's a start, albeit a very little one.

But I've talked to some people at work and just yesterday learned about a couple more people that may be interested in playing. I'm going to pursue that and checkout Craigslist.

14. susudio

susudio Member

Bluesman, all good advice here. I think Dave's is the way to go. You have to get out there and play with other people. Playing with people more skilled than you at jams will challenge you and only enhance your playing.
    Check out this site. Log in your location information and you'll probably get some hits as to open mics and jams near by. Good Luck and remember just have fun!! :) http://openmikes.org/