• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

How to get that Robin Trower "something about to change" sound?

blues bird

Gold Supporting Member
The other day I came across the new Robin Trower album "Something about to change". Absolutely love that fat sound. How can I get it myself? Stratocaster, Tube Screamer, cranked Marshall? Anything else?

Jet Bycraft

Here are two photos of Robin Trower's equipment that I shot at The Fillmore in San Francisco during his 2009 Tour. I had to paste two pictures together for the pedal shot. I don't think his set-up has changed since then...

GCDEF

Silver Supporting Member
Maybe it's me, but that doesn't sound like Marshalls to me. It's still classic Trower, but the sound is different to my ears.

DaveKS

Maybe it's me, but that doesn't sound like Marshalls to me. It's still classic Trower, but the sound is different to my ears.
Agree, it got this swampy thickness to it that's not his normal tone. Almost a down tune effect. But love it all the same, especially cause it is a little different.

But that is a studio track so no telling what kind of voodoo went on in there.

trower

[geer/peyj] hubris confusion paralysis by analysis
Gold Supporting Member
The big diff from Trower of old is he's moved away from Fuzz. The RTO is a very nice low gainer but is a TS variant that get's creamy. His sounds is much more clearer now. Add to that, heavy strings for that piano like thump, cranked 100 watters and yea...your their....minus the hands of course.

BTW, He's using 50 wtt Reissues now for studio but has been known to use Fenders to Cornells for his studio work.

Last edited:

T92780

Gold Supporting Member
Whatever it is, his studio tone on last/recent album is best he's ever had..IMO.

Trending Topics