How to get the cigarette smell out of an amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Deadpool_25, Aug 30, 2018.

1. OllieDox

OllieDox Member

Depending on how sensitive you are to smoke, you may want to consider moving on or returning it if possible. In my experience it is extremely difficult to remove the smell, particularly from amps. Thankfully the TC-100 isn't a combo since getting the smell out of a speaker is near impossible. I spent considerable time & effort getting the smell off of a Boss pedal that I got used in 'great' condition from GC's used site. Smoke gets everywhere and places like circuit boards never really get it completely removed. The suggestions in this thread are good though.

2. BigGreggoTX

BigGreggoTX Member

I use Ozium in my car and it works. I get mine at Auto Zone.

3. Babaji

Babaji Member

...Get some Spray 9(an automotive interior cleaner) at Home Depot. Take the chassis out and the speaker. Do one surface at a time. Use an old tooth brush. Wear gloves and don't let the spray get on plastic glasses lens's(it's slightly acidic). Use it on the grill cloth as well. Set that in the sun to dry. Spray 9 cleans very well...

4. Jaji

Jaji Member

I once had a used Peavey Studio 112 combo that arrived in worse condition than the photos showed. Not only did it smell musty, but also had rust on the reverb tank and the tolex looked like it had a white residue embedded in it. Of all things, I used some Pledge on it. Not only did the smell go away, but the tolex looked brand new afterwards. I like the Ozium and Febreeze ideas, too.

5. motokev

motokev Member

Impossible, I tried everything
    it was a Mesa Lonestar Special

I gave up and SOLD it. I always ASK before buying an amp or guitar if it smells like smoke.

6. jijoe

jijoe Member

Seriously - best thing to do is to leave it outside and let the air combine with the odor particles. Wind will help.

Ok - just seen you sold it. But for anybody else wondering - outside in the wind (not rain obviously)

7. ReddRanger

ReddRanger Supporting Member

Ditto. I tried it all on 70's Super Reverb years ago. I was able to make it a lot better, but never 100% stink free. Selling it solved the problem entirely.

8. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

9. westmike

westmike Silver Supporting Member

I use a three step process:

1. Load amp into your car
    2. Drive to local music store
    3. Trade that sucker in

PRESTO! The Smell is Gone.

10. michael razor

michael razor Member

OP can use this for his Stinky Feet-Put in Sox!! :banana Win-Win-Win!! :banana

11. megaboogie

megaboogie Supporting Member

Good thread, I am going thru the same situation too.
    I bought a used Soldano Avenger at GC for cheap knowing it had that musty smoke smell.
    The amp sounds amazing but I have 45 days to get rid of the smell or it might go back lol probably not though as I really dig the amp.
    I've put it out in Texas heat and used a box fan and it seemed to have gotten little bit better now but not 100% gone.