1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

How to get the QOTSA tone without an Ampeg?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by JBOTS, Feb 24, 2012.

1. JBOTS

JBOTS Member

Since years i want to get the QOTSA tone from the first album. Especially Regular John and Avon are my benchmark tones that i want to achieve.

I assume this an Ampeg VT-22 with an OD pedal. The "american" tone of the ampeg does play a big role and maybe the speakers too.

So is it possible to achieve that kind of sound with any other amp?
    The closest was maybe an Hiwatt with a dark fuzz, but it didnt sound the same. Of course the Hiwatt is british.

What do you think? Is there a way around an ampeg? Cant find one in Europe right now.

2. RocksOff

RocksOff Member

I can get super close with a Catalinbread SFT and Big Muff into a JTM, using lowish output humbuckers

3. JBOTS

JBOTS Member

cool can you post a clip?
    by the way i pulled the trigger on an ampeg vt40.... i'm done searching. i had the best results into a fender twin with a good fuzz.

4. Sirloin

Sirloin Supporting Member

transplant their hands onto your arms

5. freaksho

freaksho Member

or maybe just their pedals onto your board.

6. RocksOff

RocksOff Member

I've never recorded any of it, since it's not my invention. I will, however, provide a link to my band's stuff. There are quite a few fuzzes and Rangemaster tones on there.

www.reverbnation.com/papertigertheband