How to get this guitar tone?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by kiki_90291, Jan 26, 2015.

1. kiki_90291

kiki_90291 Member

I'm not much of a hi-gain guy. My band wants to play this song and I need a tutorial on how to get this kind of guitar tone (the rhythm part to start - the lead and the bridge use different tones) - any tips, suggestions? I'm playing through a Mesa TA-15, have the usual range of overdrives, distortions and fuzz to play with:

2. Campfired

Campfired Gold Supporting Member

You know, I am not sure, but the rhythm guitar part is reminiscent of Smashing Pumpkins rhythm tone, at least to my ears, with a bit of added midrange cutting through...you can hear the midrange when you listen carefully...

Also sounds like they've stacked a couple overdrive pedals or used some fuzz...have you researched certain fuzz pedals that offer EQ adjustment?

Might be the place to look...

3. ummohyeah

ummohyeah Member

Triangle or Ram's Head fuzz will get you the rhythm. Good trick here is to turn up the fuzz and then roll back on the guitar volume knob to clean it up to the appropriate level. A ProCo Rat could also give you an acceptable crunch for that rhythm but to my ears a fuzz (Muff type) would be far more appropriate. You could also try putting on a tiny bit of chorus on the guitar to help the chords sound "darker." As far as the lead, the overdrive sounds a bit compressed so I'd say a TS808 type pushing that fuzz would be great.