How to get this piano sound

Discussion in 'Keyboards' started by kiki_90291, Jun 8, 2019.

1. kiki_90291

kiki_90291 Member

It's funny - I've bene playing guitar long enough that I've got a pretty good idea how to get to most guitar sounds, but none of that seems to translate to keys! Any idea what's going what's going on with the piano in this track? It's played through a lot of the song, but most prominent in the intro (the quarter notes). Upright piano? Grand, baby grand? Sounds kind of honky-tonkish, but those pianos don't sound right when I do them? Delay plus big reverb or just reverb? It sounds very roomy, but I think I'm hearing a short delay (almost slapback)? Any ideas for things to try?

2. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

It sounds to me like a FM sound piano. . .Try a Yamaha DM7. It's actually different sounds at different times in the song. Beginning has a slap back echo, but later on, it's just a piano with a big reverb. Do you use a DAW or a keyboard for your sounds. I find it easy to use a DAW (ProTools) and one of my keyboard programs to get most of my sounds.

3. anotherscott

anotherscott Member

I'd start with a CP70/CP80 patch. Then add some reverb and maybe chorus...

4. Babysquid

Babysquid Member

^ this might be right. I’ve got a CP70 and this sounds a bit like when I send it through our echo chamber which has a pre delay and two mics for a stereo return.

5. Steve Hotra

Steve Hotra Silver Supporting Member

I've heard that piano patch before on my Yamaha Motif. I think its a upright piano / CP70 tone. Think McCartney. There is some reverb, which could have been added during the mix.
    It's a nice song, and the piano / synth patches blend well.

6. kiki_90291

kiki_90291 Member

Cool - Nord has a CP80 patch in it's library. I'll give that a shot.

7. anotherscott

anotherscott Member

Yes, and their Electric Grand Amped is also a CP80.

kiki_90291 likes this.
  8. kiki_90291

kiki_90291 Member

Turns out there's also a YaC7 patch, which I assume is a CP70. That one actually sounds the closest to the recording (always hard to tell without the rest of a band playing along). Thanks for the suggestions!

9. anotherscott

anotherscott Member

YaC7 is probably a Yamaha C7 grand piano (as opposed to a Yamaha CP70 Electric Grand). But as long as you got something that works!