How to get this sound? [with OD/Distortion pedals]

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by i51423, Jun 26, 2006.

1. i51423

i51423 Member

[This was copied directly from a post I made on Harmony-Central. It recieved no responses there.]

For a while, I have been considering going a mostly pedal route for my tone. I'd like some suggestions to get into the area of what I'm looking for.

My current setup is: Fender Tele > Boss TU-2 > Ibanez DE-7 (used only for a noise floor between songs.) > Boss DD-3 > Carvin X100B

I use both channels on the Carvin currently. While I don't mind the distortion on the Carvin, it's very raw and compressed sounding. I guess this isn't a bad thing, but I'd like to have a more tamed sound. I'm really digging the tone of my friend's Orange and another friend's Mesa Dual Recto Maverick. A mid-gain sound that's just very even and not overbearing. For an example of the Orange, go here: http://www.myspace.com/theprizefight

I'm not sure how possible it would be to acheive this sound with a pedal, but that's what I'm aiming to do. I have plans to get a Barber Tone Press to even out all the clean tapping and single notes that get lost in a live situation.

Do you guys have suggestions of pedals I might want to check out for this kind of sound?

I apologize if it's not clear what I'm looking for. I basically want to get my sound to be: clear, "warm", not ripping ears apart, and still loud.

I'm getting a 2x12 Avatar cab in the future with V30s, unless there are better speakers to look at. My current speakers are Celestion G12M-70s.

The tone on Foo Fighters - The Colour and the Shape is pretty similar to what I'm looking for. A really solid rock tone.

2. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

DUDE!!! What Orange amp is that?

3. what?

what? Member

if you got the chance try out the mosferatu by hermida audio. From you description you wanted a mid gain drive that still retain clarity, but with crunch going on as well. The mosferatu is my favourite drive pedal and stays in my board all the time. It's a rare bird right now, but you still see some on the 2nd hand market now and then

4. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

CMATMODS Tube Slammer Deluxe wide realm of possibilities.
    Gaspedal Carb, nice boost to OD range

5. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

TRY A Menatone kING OF THE bRITIANS, OR A Timmy, or a Fulltone Ocd

6. i51423

i51423 Member

It's a G&L ASAT Classic Bluesboy into a Rockerverb 100 head with an Orange 4x12.

I know he keeps the gain pretty low.

The other guitarist was using a Fender Esquire > TS9 > Fender 4x10 combo of some sort. I don't know if he used it on this recording. He's the lead guitarist, so I'd imagine it was used on his leads.

Thanks for the suggestions. I guess I should mention that I'm trying to keep the cost at around $120 or so. Not too much more than that.

7. i51423

i51423 Member

8. i51423

i51423 Member

9. i51423

i51423 Member

That pedal sounds damn good. Thanks!

I still need to get my hands on all of these pedals and try them first hand.