How to go DI ?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Mitch T, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Mitch T

Mitch T Member

I'm in a band where I do mostly backing vocals, synth and acoustic guitar and just bits of electric guitar. Two things: when I do go electric, I need specific sounds, so I assembled a small but efficient pedalboard and normally I use a head an 1x12 cab.
    But then.... we went in-ear. It comes down to my NOT needing a nice amp anymore. So I'm down to this: I still want to use my small pedalboard but would love to use some kind of pre amp with cab sim or DI so I can plug in without an amp. Any ideas ?
    Relatively low cost, been investing a lot these days...

2. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

3. Mitch T

Mitch T Member

Wow, never heard of that one before ! Very cool, very affordable. I'm going to check out all the clips right away! Thanks !

4. dk_ace

dk_ace Member

The Tech 21 Sansamp pedals are the best I've found for this situation (barring the Axe-FX, but that is a completely different animal). I used the Tri AC that way for DI gigs for years without a problem. The new character series that they have coming out is on my list of gear to buy this year as well. They make great sounding gear that is really worth checking out in a situation like yours.

I don't know your budget, but if it is really small you can also use the mixer out on the bad monkey for this. The amp emulation isn't really strong, but it is enough to do the job. I would take the Tech 21 stuff anyday over the monkey, but the BM works in a pinch.

You also might consider the V Stack pedals. A lot of people have had good experiences with those, but I haven't used them personally.

D

5. Mitch T

Mitch T Member

I'm not sure about the budget yet, like I said... I've already invested a lot already in this band. Mad e a good deal of money as well, but still...
    I had no idea the Bad Monkey had a mixer out. Is is still clean then, or always with a hint of drive ?
    Forgot about the V Stacks, can those be used clean as well?
    Our bass player recorded with the SansAmp stuff, it absolutely sounded great; worth the price, but a bit expensive for me right now.
    Thanks for your input guys !

6. freak4liferu

freak4liferu Member

Palmer makes some great boxes for this.

If you are into computer things, Amplitude v2.0 is great, you can choose a ton of amps, and cabs, and even the type of mics you want to use, and where the mic would be place on the cab.. i use this for on the go type stuff...

7. dk_ace

dk_ace Member

If you can't do the sansamp (these come up pretty affordable on the used market BTW), then the Palmer gear is definately out of reach. The Monkey's mixer out is clean with a mild Fender simulation. It isn't a really strongly voiced emulation IMO, but it does the job. These are cheap and plentiful, so borrow one or grab one with a return policy and try it out.

D

8. Mitch T

Mitch T Member

Researching already ;) The Sansamp GT2's are priced pretty okay secondhand and they do sound great...
    I really should find a buddy with a Bad Monkey, but most of my buddies liek better quality stuff, like I do myself :messedup

Anyway, the Righteous Tones Jack looks very tempting with it's balanced out, but I hate not finding any reviews.
    Any direct experience from users over here ?

9. mcdes

mcdes Member of no importance

the strobostomp tuner pedal has a built in di out? maybe that will do, i wouldnt know how it sounds tho.

10. dorfmeister

dorfmeister Member

11. Tbone135

Tbone135 Member

I've used a Behringer DI with cab sims ( about 30 bucks) coming out of the external speaker out of my DRRI and it sounds pretty good. If you want to hear them, I happen to have 2 quick MP3s of my DRRI mic'd with an SM 57 and then with the Behringer DI. They sound pretty similar to me.

12. willyredeemed

willyredeemed Member

I have an Aphex Punch Factory that has a DI output...would I be able to use that to send to the mixer? what about my pedals, how would that work...do i no use my amp (fender deville) and run into and out of the punch factory?

13. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

The ART tube MP is now 30 bucks at MF.

I've used it live as a direct box for years (in a rack setup).

AWESOME deal at this price. They're so cheap now. . . I'll never be able to sell my rack unit. . . .

If you buy one and don't like it. . . sell it to me. I'm dead serious. I can always use another one of these.

14. orogeny

for the record, the sansamp is outstanding . . .

15. willyredeemed

willyredeemed Member

how would you use this w/ a pedalboard? help, i'm in need of DI-ing my board also!

16. Mitch T

Mitch T Member

Excellent suggestions, thanx !
    With my requirement that it should be somewhat responsive to pedals (overdrive as well), I'm leaning more towards the Sansamp. 'Just' a DI is not enough, I know that doesn't work with a drive pedal.

17. Tbone135

Tbone135 Member

I tried using a Sansamp GT-2 a few years ago and I just couldn't get what I wanted out of it. I found the Line 6 stuff to be much more realistic sounding.

18. willyredeemed

willyredeemed Member

Found a SOLUTION! My aphex punch factory has DI out so i put it at the end of my chain. it has an option for dry and wet DI out...i chose dry (no compression...you can choose wet too, but i just didnt want any compression). took an xlr cable and ran the DI out into a mixer and voila, it worked! now i can plug straight into the mixer with my pedalboard, no amp.

question: if i got an ART Tube MP, would it create that natural tube clipping with my overdrive pedals (small fry and ltd)?

19. orogeny

I have been stuck in just that situation. You can certainly drive the tube into overdrive/distortion, if that is what you mean. Meanwhile, there is no "amp sim" that goes along with it. . . sounds kind of thin on it's own. . . but it does do that thing. Pretty cool, if you ask me. At 30 bucks, it's a steal.

20. Mitch T

Mitch T Member

How do the drive pedals sound now, with just the DI? I'm not concerned about my clean signal sounding okay, but I need a good drive too, sometimes.