How to go DI ?

dk_ace

I think you guys are missing the point of what he needs. He is not simply looking for a way to plug into a mixer. He wants something that will interface well with his pedals and replace an amp rig. There are very few viable solutions for this situation.

TBone 135, I couldn't disagree more. I've used all of the digital units (I even took them all out for an all day shootout), and I'll take the organic sounds of the Sansamp Tri AC any day over any one of those units. The only one I haven't had a chance to play is the Axe-FX, and I really want to get my hands on one of those. The digital units all had problems that I just couldn't deal with. They have a myriad of options, but they fail to just give a great, simple tone. You can dial up such a tone with the Sansamp TRI AC in about sixty seconds.

To each their own, but if you're on a budget the Sansamp is hard to beat. Even if you have a lot more money available, the Sansamp is still really hard to beat. The only thing on the market that I would take over the Sansamp is the Axe-FX, but there is over a thousand dollars difference between the two.

D

dorfmeister

The Damage Control unit I mentioned would be good for your needs if you can get one cheap used. They don't hold their value very well used.

Takes pedals well.

Tbone135

DK ace, that Sansamp did a pretty good Boogie impression but it really let me down with anything resembling a Fender clean. Believe me, I tried to make it work and was disappointed I couldn't use it.

I hated the Line 6 stuff until I stopped trying to use everything it had and started from scratch with one basic tone. Now I have 3 or 4 that really sound good with my regular pedalboard after a TON of experimentation. I can post some live stuff of it if you like.

kludge

The droid you're looking for
You don't just need DI... you need speaker simulation. Guitar speakers roll off the highs hard, and have strong peaks in the mid-bass and upper midrange. It's a very distinctive sound. DI electric guitar without those peaks and rolloffs can sound - well, not BAD, but weird. Too thin and too bright.

Sansamps are a good cheap solution. So is a Morley JD-10 if you can find one used. So is a POD or a Vox Valvetronix or something, if you don't mind modeled sound (some like it, some don't). But I think you'll find a straight DI to be unsatisfying.

Mitch T

I think you guys are missing the point of what he needs. He is not simply looking for a way to plug into a mixer. He wants something that will interface well with his pedals and replace an amp rig. There are very few viable solutions for this situation.
Spot on, thanks !
The reason I don't tend towards Line6/Damage Control is the plastic factor :( I've seen too much reliablilty problems with 'em. Point is, I also want to use this as a backup for my 'main' rig, for the band I play lead guitar. I'll pass.
Only drawback on the GT2 is that it has no XLR out, but I have a general DI, so that's okay. On the lookout for one now :AOK

willyredeemed

How do the drive pedals sound now, with just the DI? I'm not concerned about my clean signal sounding okay, but I need a good drive too, sometimes.

It sounds REALLY thin...sounds nothing like going thru my fender deville. anybody know if i can take the "speaker out" and run that straight to a board via DI?

Tweeker

Silver Supporting Member
I think you guys are missing the point of what he needs. He is not simply looking for a way to plug into a mixer. He wants something that will interface well with his pedals and replace an amp rig. There are very few viable solutions for this situation... if you're on a budget the Sansamp is hard to beat.D

BINGO!!!!!
Here's the deal. There is nothing that responds to your pedals like your amp. So use your amp. The most cost effective way that I've found is tapping the speaker out of the amp using a Palmer PDI-09 and then into an attenuator to crank down the volume and safely give it a dummy load.

It's twice the cost of a SansAmp unit, but you'll have the real deal and it does sound different. That being said, I also use a SansAmp in a pinch and I agree it's hard to beat.

POD Buster

I use Crate PowerBlock for same application. Out of production but still plenty on the used market. Suprisingly good tone, too!

Tbone135

Mitch, Try that GT-2 before you buy. I was pretty disappointed with mine and I was trying to do the same thing you are now. And about the Line 6 stuff durability-I've never seen an issue with the Pods myself. The DL-4 has a reputation of cheesy switches, but the Pods are pretty tough.

Mitch T

I think I'll buy one secondhand, 'cause I really got to test it with the full setup, including the in ear monitoring system.
For those who missed it, for the particular band I'm talking about I need eletrci guitar just a few times, so I'm not very anal about my tone there, especially when we're using an in-ear monitoring system. It's not a three way driver, so my great guitar tone won't shine through anyway ;)

ruach1

Interesting discussion. I've done the DI thing in a worship setting for 15 years. (In a bar or club, use your amp!). I've been VERY happy with my SansAmp Tri-A.C. I find it is much more useful than the GT-2. I have tried all the PODs and their like, but I hate the latency of all digital pre-amps. When I play a note, I want to hear it immediately, not wait a few milliseconds. Digital modelers can sound excellent, but for me, they take all the fun out of playing.
The Tri-A.C. works very nicely with other pedals, although I find I can get all the clean/OD/Dist sounds I need with the three channels and the 5 way switch on my HSS & piezo semi-hollow. I can even dial up a decent acoustic preamp sound for my piezo.
I used a Shure in-ear system as well, which I'm still getting used to.

PJH

I've been using one of these lately. Love it. It has one of the best amp sims I've heard. Bit hard to get now though.

marshalldrp1.jpg

Mitch T

Interesting discussion. I've done the DI thing in a worship setting for 15 years. (In a bar or club, use your amp!). I've been VERY happy with my SansAmp Tri-A.C. I find it is much more useful than the GT-2. I used a Shure in-ear system as well, which I'm still getting used to.
It does take some time, doesn't it?
What are the differences between the Tri-AC and the GT2 acoording to you?

PJH

It's a Marshall DRP-1. Direct Recording Preamp. It takes pedals beautifully. Also got a headphone output etc.

Great cleans and you get the dirt from your pedals. There is a boost on the unit itself which doesn't give a bad distortion but I find it's a bit over the top. I've mounted this on my board permanently as we do a lot of festivals where you're dependent on the sound guy for a decent tone. This was you give him a feed from your board and tell him to put the eq on your channel flat. You're always sure you'll get a decent tone through the PA.

InCase.jpg

redpill

For the right now, Tri-AC. For the long haul, those new Tech 21 Character Series pedals look impressive, but I'll admit I (like almost everyone else) have not yet gotten my hands on one. I for one find the Line6 stuff to be of questionable build quality (especially their most recent models), and I can still hear the digital-ness. I'm a SansAmp lover, for whatever that's worth.

Oddos

I`m very interested in this as well. If they sound good and are reasonably responsive, one those Liverpool or Blonde pedals could be a great going direct. Also maybe a great setup for practice with just a Boomerang and computer monitors.

I do lots of those gigs with just a bassplayer and a singer on acoustic where I`m the only one bringing an amp. The gig is usually in a small bar in the middle of nowhere and we`re just playing some calssics for the old people to sing and dance too. I used to bring my Guytron head, which is obviously overkill, but now I even feel a small combo is a hassle sometimes.

Just the thought of having it all in the gigbag takes a weight off my shoulders. And my guitar would also be the only piece of equipment I`d have to have a watchful eye on.

ruach1

It does take some time, doesn't it?
What are the differences between the Tri-AC and the GT2 acoording to you?

Three items:
Obviously, the three programmable switches. A GT2 is fine for recording, but live, having the three channels is wonderful.
I find it easier to get my sound on the Tri-AC. The controls are intuitive, and behave more like an amp. This is helpful, because I want to fine tune the EQ in a full band, full volume rehearsal. The EQ that sounds great in my bedroom is all wrong when the drums & keys are going full out. With the Tri-AC, if I need to cut the mids or something, I turn one knob in rehearsal, step on the switch twice, and my setting is saved, ready for playing live.
Finally, the OD on the Tri-AC seems more dynamic to me. I can set two different drive channels that will clean up with my guitar volume knob at different places, and use that knob or change pickups, and get a very wide range of dirt tones. The GT2 isn't as good at that - the Brit & Cal. settings are higher gain, and less versatile, to my ears.

LouRossi

I run a ZV Box of Rock w/ the Boost on at unity into the Behringer DI with cab sim. I plan on replacing the Behringer w/ the Palmer PDI-09 shortly

Trending Topics

Top Bottom