How to I buy and Switch a Tele neck?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by ala02c, Sep 25, 2008.

1. ala02c

ala02c Member

Hey guys I'm new to the guitar forum and thought I'd ask for some advice.

Love the sound on my 69' RI thinline Tele (made in Mexico) but HATE the fat neck!

Where can I buy a thinner neck thats more to my tastes and what should I look for in terms of finished/frets/etc to make this a buy, switch and set-up procedure?

Thanks for the help! :D

2. teletroy

teletroy Member

I use to have one, man I loved that neck! Wish I had another tele neck to trade you. I've been thinking about putting a parts tele together and finding one of those fatties :)

I'd watch the for sale forum here for other tele necks and ebay. In terms of what to look for, I guess it's all personal preference. I've been lucky before after playing someone's guitar that I liked the neck on- finding the same year neck and having it be the same.
    Neck buying can be hard since most of the time you can't hold it before you buy it. I did buy a neck from some place in Florida before on ebay, I see you're located there- don't remember if it was Miami or not. If it was you could try one out before buying one.

If you know the profile you like and radius, you can always go warmouth, or one of the neck makers on ebay.

good luck in your quest for tone!

3. ala02c

ala02c Member

thanks I checked out Warmoth but seems a little pricey...I guess thats what you pay for custom stuff!

4. ala02c

ala02c Member

thanks I checked out Warmoth but seems a little pricey...I guess thats what you pay for custom stuff!

5. teletroy

teletroy Member

yeah, they are expensive. You can usually find used Fender Tele necks on Ebay too.

I know mighty mite doesn't have a very good reputation, but I did get a really nice tele neck one time for less than $100 on ebay. It was a V profile, I liked it alot. It played really well too