How to improve string tension

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by gimmeshelter335, Sep 24, 2008.

1. gimmeshelter335

gimmeshelter335 Member

If this is an incredibly obvious question, I apolgize.

I am a big fan of strings with a lot of tension, and I am wondering if there is a way to achieve this without having my action set a mile off the neck. Are there specific strings I should buy? Would a higher string gauge solve my problem? (Right now I am playing 45 - 100)

Any input would be greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance

2. RustyAxe

RustyAxe Member

Go to juststrings.com where they keep specs on all the strings they sell, most include the tension of each string in the set. Great way to compare.

3. drfrankencopter

drfrankencopter Member

I think it's a good question, and I'm looking forward to the answers since a buddy of mine has string tension issues with his Music Man 5 string.

One thing that I've found helps is to set the neck up for very little relief (i.e. a mostly straight neck). Other than that, I'm all ears!

Cheers

Kris

4. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

Listen to "Mr. Girlie Strings Player..."

:D

(I use those on my T-Bird)

5. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

All else equal, thicker strings do have higher tension at pitch. One of the nice things about the higher tension strings is that you can get away with lower action. That's because the string doesn't vibrate in as wide of path, so buzzing issues are decreased.

It sounds to me like your bass needs a setup.

Bryan

6. teleharmonium

teleharmonium Member

Action doesn't really have anything to do with it. If you are otherwise happy with your string choice, yes you can go with a thicker gauge and get more tension. Or you can move over to a higher tension string; the tension has to do with various factors including the size and shape of the core relative to the windings, and the type of windings, and the alloys in the windings.

Also, there is stiffness, and then there is tension, which are related but not necessarily directly corollary to one another, the type of string can make differences either way. You might be wanting more stiffness, so that the string bounces around less and you don't have to go hunting around for the string as much with your right hand while trying to play fast, rather than tension as such.

If you really do like a lot of tension, you should get the longest scale length instrument you can and string it with D'addario Chromes. I personally would not call this "improving" the tension ! I like a lot of stiffness but as little tension as possible, my favorite strings are T-I or Pyramid flatwounds and I don't mind the LaBella Deep Talkin' flats either.

7. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Stringing through the body and using a string tree on the headstock are really the only methods to increase the perceived stiffness of the strings besides changing string types. Guitarists want just the opposite so go read up in the guitar forums on string tension/compliance and do exactly the opposite of what they suggest.

8. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

what he said. also, "half-round" or "groundwound"-type strings are usually pretty tight for their size, and won't be as dark as full-out flats.

9. Chris Scott

Chris Scott Silver Supporting Member

Other possible avenues are;

On bolt-on neck instruments, shim the neck a bit and correspondingly raise the saddles. This will increase the "break angle" a bit and give a little more punch sometimes, which might stiffen it up a bit, although it might be more percieved than real.

I've actually sunk bridge assemblies into the body on a few set-neck instruments in order to get a bit more bite and sustain, and had clients tell me it felt stiffer- just something to ponder.;)

10. James Hill

James Hill Member

I also prefer high tension and from my experience DR Low Riders .045 - .105 roundwounds and Chromes Flats .050 - .105 are the best for me. It could also just be my perception and could be completely different for anyone else.

11. SmoothFall

SmoothFall Member

I would say if you have high action, then that might eliminate the need to have more tension on the strings.... Just a thought

12. Structo

Structo Member

Bigger strings = more string tension.
    You can usually lower the action with bigger strings too because they don't vibrate in as big of circle.

But I can't stand the action too low because I have trouble getting a finger on the string to bend it under the next string.
    I have tried bigger gauges but always go back to D'Addario 9-42's......

Forgot to add, you didn't mention the guitar but scale length plays a big role in the feel of the strings as well.
    Longer scale, more tension, shorter scale, less tension.

13. skylabfilmpop

skylabfilmpop Silver Supporting Member

if you are on a fender style shim the neck. the greater neck angle will mean saddles need to be set higher and the steeper angle of the string break behind the saddle will take the suppleness away. also try some different or heavier strings. you can also try more wraps on the tuners if they will fit. same theory here different end of the guitar!

14. elanvital

elanvital Member

you need muscles for high tension strings =)

15. skydog

skydog Supporting Member

16. envika

envika Member

flatwounds, or move up to .050 gauge