• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

How to increase the longevity of your frets

windwalke9649

On a side note regarding corrosion with nickel. I was an account executive for a jewelry cleaning product manufacturer for a couple years. We were known for the jars of cleaner people soak rings and such in but we also manufactured polishing cloths; they came as either gold, or silver polishing cloths. There were 2 cloths stitched together; one with a dry chemical for the cleaning & a separate one to polish and buff.

The silver polishing clothes were AWESOME for frets, strings and metal hardware. I tried to get our company to focus on selling them to musical instrument stores after I gave a few area music shops, and they went like crazy, but the company was very short-sighted and wanted nothing to do with it. These are the same clots that Blitz sells as string cleaners, but they sell the gold clothes that don't keep them from tarnishing.

I would use these on guitars that hadn't been maintaining a couple of years, a little bit of breath on the frets and I would pass the cloth over at 5-6 times and it would shine like it was brand new. When you bent the strings over them, it was like bending over glass. But the best part of the silver polishing cloths with the fact that the treatment that use to polish it actually left a little the chemical behind, not enough to do any damage or show up on your fingers or strings, but it would actually keep those frets from corroding later on j llike the cloth bags designed to store siIverware. I pulled an acoustic out of a case that I hadnt looked at for a year, the strings are all corroded but the frets still look brand new .
I no longer work with them, so I have nothing to hold me back from telling people to buy them because I get no gain out of it .

Connoisseurs Products sells them.

logen99999

buy multiple guitars. This way you spread the ware over 2 or 3 guitars instead of just on one.

also good to have backups.

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
buy multiple guitars. This way you spread the ware over 2 or 3 guitars instead of just on one.

also good to have backups.
True but the spares corrode, if not in use, and a quick wipe to maintain optimal function is cool.
Lose the rough strings to reduce actual wear.

XKnight

The silver polishing clothes were AWESOME for frets, strings and metal hardware. I tried to get our company to focus on selling them to musical instrument stores after I gave a few area music shops, and they went like crazy, but the company was very short-sighted and wanted nothing to do with it. These are the same clots that Blitz sells as string cleaners, but they sell the gold clothes that don't keep them from tarnishing.
Can you use the Blitz gold cloths for cleaning/polishing the frets or is it just for strings? So does anyone still sell the silver cloths?

windwalke9649

True but the spares corrode, if not in use, and a quick wipe to maintain optimal function is cool.
Lose the rough strings to reduce actual wear.
I guess this works too, but for those of you who can afford to buy multiple guitars, or have a favorite guitar that you like to play; the cloths are a cheaper alternative.

Pietro

2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy
SS frets for me on all my electrics.

Problem solved.

windwalke9649

Can you use the Blitz gold cloths for cleaning/polishing the frets or is it just for strings? So does anyone still sell the silver cloths?
Yes you can, essentially the same type of thing. But I find the connoisseurs brand does the job better and they're thicker and they last a little bit better. Oh and best of all about half the price of the Blitz. Onida make a similar product.
The key is to buy them as "jewelry cleaning " (actually silver) cloths, not string cleaning. For some reason when they sell them as string cleaning cloths, they charged 2-3 times as much $ than the "jewelry cleaning. " its like OTC sleeping pills; they cost twice as much as allergy pills, even know the drugs the exact same thing,
Nothing more nothing less.

Last edited:

rummy

Silver Supporting Member
Don't play?
I always wash my hands before playing, if that's worth anything.

XKnight

How about the Gorgomyte Fretboard Conditioning Cloth? Seems to be easier to use since it cleans the frets and conditions the fretboard at the same time.

windwalke9649

How about the Gorgomyte Fretboard Conditioning Cloth? Seems to be easier to use since it cleans the frets and conditions the fretboard at the same time.
These types of products sold more as a wood conditioner, more to clean the fretboard and the frets a little, but you need to clean the frets off. If you use that type of product often, it can leave a film over them, they dry and get pitted after a while. So youshould still go back and individually clean the frets well. That's the whole key to the "fret longevity." In my experience things that are designed to do more than one thing at once, are like the proverbial "Jack of all trades, master of none. "

Last edited:

Guitardave

Silver Supporting Member
The Miracle Cloth, Gorgomyte stuff is amazing....I've been using it now for the last 5 months and my guitars frets and fingerboards have never played better.

A link to the OP's product suggestion would be nice...I didn't see a trade/product name I could search on.

mojo jones

I tried some silver cleaning cloths on my strings once, and had to restring the guitar and clean the fretboard because the cloths left some very fine abrasive on the strings that acted like violin bow rosin. Every time I moved my hand, the strings would squeak and whine like a badly bowed violin. Made the guitar unplayable til I thoroughly cleaned the fretboard.

windwalke9649

I tried some silver cleaning cloths on my strings once, and had to restring the guitar and clean the fretboard because the cloths left some very fine abrasive on the strings that acted like violin bow rosin. Every time I moved my hand, the strings would squeak and whine like a badly bowed violin. Made the guitar unplayable til I thoroughly cleaned the fretboard.
I don't know what cloths you used, or what you did with them, but I never had any of that kind of problem. We use to hand them out to people who brought their guitars to get service work done in the shop and I never had any complaints.

I suggest not using it to clean the actual wood however. At first I used to tape up the fretboard leaving just the frets exposed. Now I just put the cloth around my index finger, pressing the cloth to the fret, my fingernail stays in the groove between the fret and the fretboard, and rub the fret back and forth.

You must of used to highly abrasive cloth, because they're design to polish jewelry, and if it leave scratches its not going to polish it very well.
Bear in mind after you use the cloth that has the treatment on it to actually clean the fret and string, you're supposed to use the other cloths that doesn't have the treatment on it to buff and polish, this will also remove the excess of that chemical treatment that was on the cloth off of the metal.

This also shows the importance of using a clean polishing cloth afterwards, as you buff any left over solution or powder gets removed. Of its not, it will dry onto the metal. It wasn't pittted or abrasive metal strings you were feeling, it was the dried left over residue that you didn't remove.

Last edited:

windwalke9649

http://connoisseurs.com/jewelry_care/jewelry_polishing_cloths_silver_buff.php

I bought one of those from Wal-Mart a couple of years ago. IMHO, the Miracle Cloth worked much better. Maybe I got an old package and it was dried out?
It's possible.
NOTE; though common sense should dictate this; do not wash the cloth after use and do not wet the cloth. It's designed to be used dry, if you get it wet it won't work properly. A little moisture on the metal you're polishing is okay (not more than what gets on it with your breath. ( I can't tell you how many phone calls I got when I was still working for that company from people complaining at the clock doesn't work anymore after they washed it with a load of laundry. This will remove the actual powdered chemical that does the work, do not wash the cloth )

Trending Topics

Top Bottom