How to install Gotoh Locking Klusons on an LP Standard Faded

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by steved0x, Sep 22, 2008.

1. steved0x

steved0x Member

I just got some Gotoh Locking Kluson tuners for my LP. I was reading the instructions and it talks about needing a punch to get the old bushings out before installing the new ones. But I thought I also heard they were a drop in replacement and that I didn't have to pop out the bushings. Before I head to the hardware store to find a punch or some way to get the old bushing out I thought I would ask here:

Do I need to take the old bushings out?
    What's the best way to do it?

Thanks!

Steve

2. RvChevron

RvChevron Member

Did you try to mount it? Unless the original bushings are too small, the Gotoh should fit.

3. Bob V

Bob V Member

You don't need to go buy a big drift pin punch (although a set of those does come in handy if you're a tool hound). If you have a good drill index (that goes beyond 1/4"), you should have a drill bit large enough to punch the bushings yet small enough to fit in the hole. Use the blunt end of the drill bit as a punch.

But RvChevron's right, first try the new tuners in the old bushings - if you have press-fit bushings then the inside diameter of the bushing should be close enough to the new ones that you won't have a problem. If your LP is a production model (not custom shop) and new enough, then it might have bolt bushings that have to be unscrewed from the front, and they'd leave a big hole that you need to use "conversion bushings" in order to use the Kluson style tuners. Most bolt bushings need a 10mm open end wrench.

4. steved0x

steved0x Member

It is a 2008 Les Paul Standard Faded. I didn't want to start the job until I was sure that I had the tools I need, but I guess I should take one off and see what happens :) I'll report back with what I find, thanks for the info!

Steve

5. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

Standards have had Gotoh vintage (small press in bushings) since 2002.
    Should be a direct fit on one of those.

6. shizzaq

shizzaq Supporting Member

Any update on this? I have a 07 Standard Faded that I am thinking about putting locking tuners on and i would be interested to see how this works out.

7. steved0x

steved0x Member

I haven't had a chance to install them yet. I am waiting on some GuitarForce pickups, and when they come in I am going to change the tuners and the pickups at the same time. I just put on new strings and I think I can keep them when I change tuners, but once I have the locking tuners on not sure if I can loosen the strings enough to get the bridge off to change the pickups.

How do you like your standard so far?

Steve