How to keep cat from scratching speaker cabinet grills?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by JackedEagle, Apr 4, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. candid_x

candid_x Supporting Member

Good for you, son. Good for you.

JM-NH likes this.
  2. JM-NH

JM-NH Member

don’t waste your time with this guy, I’m all over it. Reading comprehension is not his forte. Even when confronted with real sources, he wants to operate off of his feelings and “life experience”, when talking about mutilating cats.

3. candid_x

Anymore nits to pick?

4. candid_x

Anyway, we're just wasting bandwidth here. I'm off to mutilate more cats.

5. polyslax

polyslax Supporting Member

[​IMG]

From the look in her eyes I'm sure you can tell why I purchased a cover for my combo from these guys:

https://studioslips.com

Works great. I would never have a cat declawed, just as I would never have a dog's tail or ears cropped. In my book these are acts of mutilation.

CaptNasty, HoboMan, J Factor and 2 others like this.
  6. zenas

zenas Member

This one went downhill as fast as the phone call I just had with a buddy of mine. We don't agree on politics but we're still good friends, that call each other names.

7. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

There are a few different anti-scratch sprays out there that are available either online or at pet stores that will prevent a cat from scratching your speakers. But, you may also have to use a spray on area you want them to scratch, like scratching posts. Make sure you have a few of them around the house.

8. Geeze

Geeze Silver Supporting Member

Drifting about Tennessee in Marshall Heaven
    WARNING WARNING WARNING - Those without a sense of humor shouldn't read this post. BTW love cats.

First you need duct tape, lots of duct tape. Strap offender to the speaker grill. Dime amp - a 100 watt amp will be the most effective tool.

Do your best Pete Townsend strum.

Release thoroughly rehabilitated offender. If there are multiple offenders, restrain them with their eyes taped open to observe offender #1's treatment. They may self rehabilitate on the spot and additional treatment may not be necessary.

Clean stains on floor.

OT - I used a squirt bottle on mine - had to resist the urge to squirt when receiving cat arrogance...

Russ

Brooks, CaptNasty and zenas like this.
  9. RC Mike

RC Mike Member

There are obviously people on both sides of this that should just calm down a bit. There aren’t a lot of wrong choices here. Scolding others and acting inhumanely towards your fellow human beings is no way to win an argument.

I had my first cat declawed. We both had a better relationship after that. He had a good, long, happy life of 21 years.

My current two have their claws. They’ve managed to destroy some small parts of the bedroom carpet, but thankfully that’s stopped as they grew out of being kittens. I provide a fair number of scratching posts. They’ve learned what is and isn’t ok, and for the most part they do a good job. My wife keeps their claws trimmed, and has made that a weekly thing since the beginning.

If they didn’t take to alternatives and training, I’d choose to have them declawed.

10. JM-NH

JM-NH Member

or just don’t get a cat rather than mutilate it. You are just as dumb and cruel as the other guy. Also I don’t care about winning am argument with stupid people who are set in their ways. I’ll be here all day...

RicardoDiazHimself likes this.
  11. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

I opened this thread to make sure it turned into a flame war against anyone suggesting declawing... I wasn't disappointed.

@JM-NH - check the rules. Calling people dumb and stupid is out of line. 50% of threads already turn into arguments. There are gentlemen's rules to help reduce moderator headaches.

zenas and SteveO like this.
  12. bisticles

bisticles Member

Get a roll of "welded wire" fencing from any hardware store and attach it the front, preferably so it sticks 1/2" away from the fabric. You might also want to invest in a few braided cables, because my cat bits the heck out of any normal plastic/rubber ones.

13. Sirloin

Sirloin Supporting Member

Get a dog

73171 and woof* like this.
  14. JM-NH

JM-NH Member

I know the rules, I’m willing to take a timeout from tgp to get my point across for something I feel so strongly about.

15. Gforce013

Gforce013 Silver Supporting Member

I used a squirt gun and everytime he thought of scratching anything or getting on the table it counter i squirted him with water . The cat is 17 now and still has not scraped anything in the house and rarely gets up on the table or counters. I’ve kept my amps in the living all this time he never goes near them.

16. Vuur

Vuur Member

Do you think insulting someone is helpful in getting that point across to him/her?

zenas and RC Mike like this.
  17. JM-NH

JM-NH Member

No

18. FracStrat

FracStrat Supporting Member

I am still thinking “Small Trebuchet”

19. tomaburque

tomaburque Member

This is the solution to your problem: It's called Boundary Cat Repellent and you can find it on Amazon.

It has no smell to me and I don't know what's in it but I know the cats strongly do not like it. In fact, I just show them the bottle and they take off running. Just squirt a little around the front of the cabinet and the cats will leave it be. Repeat applications until they learn to stay away. My cats are good and I rarely have to yell at them over scratching. But one of them does scratch the corner of my box spring. So I squirt a little of this stuff and it does the trick. Doesn't stain or anything.

Ben Furman and JackedEagle like this.
  20. biter

biter Member

Put tape on that cats feet, that will keep it distracted

Brooks and flcmcya like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.