• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

How to know which Behringer active PA speakers can be paired with which of their subs?

nksoloproject

My band are looking at buying 2 Behringer DR112DSP 12 inch active PA speakers plus 2 Behringer active subwoofers. We'll be connecting them to my Zoom L-12 digital mixer.

I was wondering, will any subwoofers work with any 'top' PA speakers, or do the wattages have to be matched etc? Or is there a range of wattage of subs which will be safe to use with 'tops'? I don't want to damage anything. The Behringer DR112DSP speakers are 1200 watts each but Behringer do subs ranging from 500w to 3000w. So if the main PA speakers are 1200 watts, would the 500w subs be ok and would the 3000w ones be too much? We don't know whether to use 15 or 18 inch subs either, and if it's also possible to use passive subs with active PA speakers or whether they've both got to be powered.

The subs I'm guessing would work are the Behringer DR18SUB, as the model name starts with DB like the PA speakers. They said they also have 'built in crossovers', whatever that means:

https://www.behringer.com/product.html?modelCode=P0E41

However, would either of the following subs still be safe and work with the Behringer DR112DSP PA speakers?....

https://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_b1800xp.htm

https://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_vq1500d.htm

None of us in the band understand how to set up PA speakers to subs, so we're clueless on this, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

The final thing is, could we get away without using subs, or are they absolutely essential for a good rock band sound? I mean if we just used 15 inch PA speakers instead? We'll be playing small to medium venues to start with (definitely less than 500 people), and if we are lucky enough to eventually play in bigger venues then they'll have their own PA and soundguy so we won't have to worry about it.

modulusman

The watts don't mean anything. You need to look at the maximum spl. That being said I don't for a minute think that the $250.00 DR112dsp can can come anywhere close to 134db.

Giga

Both the tops and the (powered) subs have their own volumepot so you can always adjust them to each other.

The manual you’ll be getting with your tops explains how you need to connect them to one another and they even suggest which subs to use if I remember correctly.

Have fun and good luck !

Giga

Silent Sound

It depends, but usually a sub is a waste of money for a rock band. Not that they won't do what they're supposed to. But usually if you're bringing your own P.A., you're not going to be running the bass and kick through the P.A. Usually, it'll just be vocals and maybe acoustic guitars and such. Plus, the more instruments you run through the P.A., the harder it will be to balance everything, as it's not just volume you'll have to worry about, but E.Q. and compression. This usually requires someone with some experience to man the mixing board the entire show (FOH engineer). So usually by the time you actually need a sub, you're going to be needing a whole lot more, and have enough experience by then to know whether you need a sub or not. So you won't be asking this question.

Typically, when you play bigger venues where you'll actually need to mic the drums and bass, they'll have their own house P.A. that you'll play through and usually an FOH engineer to run it, or you'll bring along an entire sound system and crew yourself.

The main point of those subs is for DJ's for weddings and parties and such. Since then you'll need a portable, full range system.

However, to answer your question, any sub can work with any P.A. speaker. They don't even have to be the same brand. Though I would say you'll want a much more powerful sub than P.A. to make the sub useful. The lower frequencies require exponentially more power to produce at the same volume levels. In other words, if you have a 1200 watt P.A., I wouldn't consider anything other than the 3000 watt sub, and even that would be a bit underpowered, assuming you're pushing your system close to the full 1200 watts of P.A. power.

Typically, when I was a musician in a very loud rock band, 300 watts was about all we needed for a vocals only P.A. I'd probably go for 500 watts though, if I was buying it again, as too much is better than not enough. Once we got to where we were playing larger venues, that P.A. stayed in the practice space. So I'm glad we never invested a ton of money into one.

nksoloproject

It depends, but usually a sub is a waste of money for a rock band. Not that they won't do what they're supposed to. But usually if you're bringing your own P.A., you're not going to be running the bass and kick through the P.A. Usually, it'll just be vocals and maybe acoustic guitars and such. Plus, the more instruments you run through the P.A., the harder it will be to balance everything, as it's not just volume you'll have to worry about, but E.Q. and compression. This usually requires someone with some experience to man the mixing board the entire show (FOH engineer). So usually by the time you actually need a sub, you're going to be needing a whole lot more, and have enough experience by then to know whether you need a sub or not. So you won't be asking this question.

Actually, we DI everything into the PA (via our digital mixer and using amp modellers), including the bass, for a more consistent sound. We're currently experimenting with an ampless stage with no backline and using in ear monitors. Whether this stays as our setup permanently I cannot say, but it's been interesting to try and sounds great. Our drummer uses an electronic kit, but may go back to an acoustic kit for bigger shows so we won't have a totally silent stage I guess. In our case, do you think buying subs would be worth it? We could just buy 15 inch main PA speakers instead - would these provide enough bass and give that 'thump' on the bass guitar and kick drum?

sants

Actually, we DI everything into the PA (via our digital mixer and using amp modellers), including the bass, for a more consistent sound. We're currently experimenting with an ampless stage with no backline and using in ear monitors. Whether this stays as our setup permanently I cannot say, but it's been interesting to try and sounds great. Our drummer uses an electronic kit, but may go back to an acoustic kit for bigger shows so we won't have a totally silent stage I guess. In our case, do you think buying subs would be worth it? We could just buy 15 inch main PA speakers instead - would these provide enough bass and give that 'thump' on the bass guitar and kick drum?

Get the sub! It’s even more important if you run a silent stage. Standard pa speakers cannot replace the sustained low end subwoofers are designed to create.

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom