• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

How to lacquer a tweed amp?

OnlyVees

I've found a few articles online, but I thought I should consult TGP Collective...

What is the preferred method? I'm going to lacquer my two-month-old Weber 5E7 this weekend. The more detail, the better. What brand do you guys like to achieve the correct finish?

Thanks! :AOK

mark norwine

I've done it a few times......

50/50 mix of amber (colored) shelac & denatured alcohol. If you want to go darker, back off on the alcohol.

Some folks do this and then shoot clear lacquer overtop, but I never bothered.....

I wouldn't think that "just lacquer" would do much.

phsyconoodler

the old tried and true method is shellac and denatured alcohol,but some guys like Victoria use spray on coatings that give it an impressive if almost too polished look.
I use polytone honey pine stain and alcohol.Not too heavy on the alcohol.

Structo

Bullseye Amber shellac cut to 50% with denatured alcohol is the usual route.
I don't think I would spray lacquerp over it as it will make it too plastic looking.

But, shellac is not alcohol proof, so if you spill a drink on it........

Trout

Better Built Workshops uses sprayed amber shellac and a polyurethane top coat to seal the shellac. When I visted their shop, they had a load of finished cabs, all looked great.

Better Built Workshop

phsyconoodler

I tried a clear satin finish and it looked plasticky to me.
Nothing beats shellac and alcohol.Even just shellac is good.
Polyurethane sprayed on can be good if it's done right.That means from a spray gun,not a can.

Structo

yeah the clear lacquer won't change the color of the tweed.

You can use spray can nitro over the shellac to protect it.

Deft, Minwax are a couple nitro brands that you can find at the big box hardware stores.

The thing you have to be careful about with the shellac is to cut it enough to where it doesn't make the tweed too dark.
That way you can apply several coats to get where you want it.

Overly dark tweed looks fake to me.

Roundtone

Here is an example of two coats of Cabot Super Clear Satin Brushing Lacquer. I wanted this amp to look new rather than aged. This was recommended to me by a friend. I was very pleased. (and so was the guy who bought it!) This might work for you as well. I don't know how it would work over another aged finish though.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/feDrR6Te7SDkK2ILuWZP9w?feat=directlink
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/6TqVIqPRE417NdXHqtuc0Q?feat=directlink

and...

stirred not shaken, and use a brush. The streaks from the brush will lay down nicely, let it dry overnight between coats.

Last edited:

OnlyVees

For those who have used Minwax honey pine, which is better- satin or gloss? I feel stupid asking, but... :confused:

tim boehlert

Here's one I bought from a TGP member - I think it came out great! It's a Mojo Deluxe cab which houses a Jim & Leo (S2) modded Blues Jr. with a Hellatone 60 12" speaker:

Last edited:

PKBlues

I used good old Minwax #101 Lite Pine....applied 3 coats with a roller..came out sweet...just don't stop in the middle of a stroke..it'll leave a dark spot..

SamBooka

I had some issues with the laquer soaking in to the seams of the tweed and being much darker. Was compounded when I used 50/50 alcohol/laquer mix. I might to a test cab with a clear coat first and then amber laquer (although the blotchyness give my 5f1/2 clone a certain rattiness I like.

I have found no improvement when laquering the tolex on my BF cabs.

Trending Topics