How to make a record...

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by loudboy, May 12, 2005.

1. loudboy

loudboy Member

http://www.shelbylynne.com/video.asp

Everything cool about making music/recording, IMHO. Imagine getting some great players together, making them comfortable and rolling tape...

We need to get away from the PT tweazing/obsessing and start doing more of this...

It's 12 minutes, but there's some great stuff in there.

Loudboy

2. jkr

jkr Supporting Member

Amen brother!

PS. Very cool video. I wish my recording sessions would flow that easy.

3. loudboy

loudboy Member

It's simple...

Write songs like that.

Get a singer as great as Shelby.

Get a band as good as those guys.

Get a cool studio like that.

It'll be like falling off a log...

If you're working too hard at it, you're doing something wrong, IMHO.

Loudboy

4. SturmerChilton

SturmerChilton Member

I kinda like tweazing and obsessing. The way a lot of us home guys do things is because that's the way we have to do them. As much as that video makes it look like all of her redneck friends came over for beer and barbecue, they were all quite handsomely paid and have zero loyalty to Shelby Lynne. I don't have the money to do that all the time. When I record in a pro studio, that's EXACTLY how it needs to go, and I hire guys that show up and all sit in one room on sofas and very relaxed. Although I also have the luxury of knowing the studio owner.

But again, my budget doesn't really allow me the opportunity to go into these studios and do all of the writing and arranging while I'm actually there. :D

5. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Silver Supporting Member

Only if the results sound overworked.

As far as how "we" should make records, c'mon...there are a bunch of useful approaches one might take.

6. joseph

joseph Member

On the 'complete Bitches Brew sessions', liner notes reveal that a LOT of the tunes were exactly that....or more precisely, cuttin' and scotch-taping, as this was analog tape....

Remember the joys of 'editing' with scotch tape?! :eek:

7. Red Ant

Red Ant Member

I cut so much 2'' tape back in the day my nickname was Dr. Blade :) In fact my partner calls me that to this day :(

8. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

Sheesh! You guys take offhand remarks and titles so seriously!

I'm sure that all Loudboy meant was that the "old fashioned" approach can be a lot of fun, and we sometimes forget about how cool the results can be.

I'm willing to bet he's not going to abandon the digital world completely!

On a personal note, I enjoy tweezing and tweaking audio, but then I am a complete control freak.

9. loudboy

loudboy Member

Thanks, Les...

I didn't title the post "The ONLY way to make a record."

I'm also a big fan of Garbage, so there... <g>

Loudboy

10. cocheese

cocheese Supporting Member

Loudboy,

Thanks for posting that. The atmosphere that they achieve is one that I prefer when I make music. Get some people together and let it happen. Feel comfortable so that you don't mind bearing your soul a little. You have to have guys who are talented, and those guys certainly have the talent. I think the toughest thing is just "letting go" of everything else that you have going on in your life long enough to let the muse come forth. This make sense? Am I off my rocker? (Please don't answer that.)

11. dehughes

dehughes Member

Holy crap....everything about that is exactly my ideal. Songs, musicianship, recording, vibe, philosophy, approach.....perfect.

We live in the material, but so much of what we do exists in the metaphyisical other....that spiritual realm of vibe and seeming nonsense. Every once in a while someone (musician, physicist, painter, etc...) taps into it/gets in line with that "other" and just kicks out the jams....oh yeah. Kudos to Shelby and her guys...bravo.

david

12. Red Ant

Red Ant Member

:dude:

Preach on, brother splatt! Can we all move to theory? Because all that stuff works in theory ;)

13. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

>>anyways:
    music is serious, no?<<

No. Serious it can be, but not always.

I'm very close to my well-known artist (painting and sculpture) brother, and to many other artists. Artists share a certain penchant for disagreeing over semantics. For an artist to simply agree with someone would waste a golden opportunity to reinforce one's artistic gravamen and expound on one's philosophy.

I am not an artist. I don't want to be one. I already have enough trouble. Artists are hard to get along with.

It's fairly clear to me that Loudboy's post was an expression of his enthusiasm over a kind of recording process, and not a pronouncement for all time about the nature of recording music. I'm one hundred percent sure that this fact was not lost on you.

But why waste an opportunity to be disagreeable? You're an artist! ;)

And yes, I'm purposely giving you a hard time just for the sheer hell of it. :D

14. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

>>that's not a "truth", les!<<

Aw, hell, I was kidding around and I said so at the bottom of my post.

Artists!

15. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

I enjoyed that video a ton. I've cut masters and demos in Nashville in a similar fashion and with the right players it's just such a blast. You feel your songs coming alive.

I didn't watch it to the end yet, but typically there's more to making a master recording than just cutting one or two live-in-the-studio takes then mixing. But with a top-notch rhythm section there's a whole lot less editing of drums and bass.

16. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

And by the way: Absolutely true that there are as many ways to make records as there are records. I just dug that video 'cuz it was representative of the best of (what I think of as) a Nashville-style session, and a particularly good one at that.

17. Bassomatic

I dunno, Les. There are a lot of unchallenged notions about a lot of stuff flying around TGP all the time. I didn't read loudboy's remarks as "offhand". While you can feel free to second guess what the original post meant, i think its a bit much to expect the same of others.

18. Mondoslug

Mondoslug Supporting Member

Yeah, I was kind of confusing it for a Kenny Chesney session for a minute.

Don't jump my sh*t, just trying to make a funny.

19. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

>>I didn't read loudboy's remarks as "offhand". While you can feel free to second guess what the original post meant, i think its a bit much to expect the same of others<<

Having read loudboy's posts on other threads, it seems to me that the guy has a lot of sense and doesn't speak in absolutes.

Just my two cents.

Anyway, enjoy arguing over nothing.

20. Bassomatic

Of course - i'm trying to become an artist.