1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

How to make a shorted RCA plug?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by cyclerob, Jan 19, 2005.

1. cyclerob

cyclerob Member

Hi... I know it's a dumb question for you tekkies, but I need to get the tremolo going on my silverface Fender Vibrolux... I don't need the pedal for now, just a shorted plug will do the trick... Anybody has a link to a website with a picture so I can see how it's done?? Or if you have a diagram it would be appreciated...

Thanks...

Dominique

2. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

Get a standard RCA plug, and if it's the modern type with two 'prongs' sticking out of the back - one longer than the other, with wraps for the cable at the end - just solder the two together. If it's the old type with no tags, you have to poke a piece of plain wire down inside, and solder it to the tip of the pin (there's a little hole there to get solder in, don't build up a blob on the outside). Then bend the back end over and solder it to the outer rim. Here's mine!

[​IMG]

Alternatively, if you have a scrap RCA cable (eg old hi-fi lead) lying around, just cut the plug and a short bit of cable off one end, strip the wire back and twist the ends together.

3. cyclerob

cyclerob Member

Thanks John... I'm glad we can always count on you here at the Gear Page for help on that kind of stuff! :D

Thanks again...

Dominique

4. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

That's what I do, a perfect use for those 20+ yr. old cables you wouldn't want to use anymore anyway, LOL.:D :eek:

5. Wakarusa

Wakarusa Member

Switchcraft part #3502A works well. The longer barrel is easier to grab.

[​IMG]