How to make a shorted RCA plug?

cyclerob

Hi... I know it's a dumb question for you tekkies, but I need to get the tremolo going on my silverface Fender Vibrolux... I don't need the pedal for now, just a shorted plug will do the trick... Anybody has a link to a website with a picture so I can see how it's done?? Or if you have a diagram it would be appreciated...

Thanks...

Dominique

John Phillips

Get a standard RCA plug, and if it's the modern type with two 'prongs' sticking out of the back - one longer than the other, with wraps for the cable at the end - just solder the two together. If it's the old type with no tags, you have to poke a piece of plain wire down inside, and solder it to the tip of the pin (there's a little hole there to get solder in, don't build up a blob on the outside). Then bend the back end over and solder it to the outer rim. Here's mine!

Alternatively, if you have a scrap RCA cable (eg old hi-fi lead) lying around, just cut the plug and a short bit of cable off one end, strip the wire back and twist the ends together.

cyclerob

Thanks John... I'm glad we can always count on you here at the Gear Page for help on that kind of stuff! :D

Thanks again...

Dominique

Jon C

Silver Supporting Member
Originally posted by John Phillips

Alternatively, if you have a scrap RCA cable (eg old hi-fi lead) lying around, just cut the plug and a short bit of cable off one end, strip the wire back and twist the ends together.
That's what I do, a perfect use for those 20+ yr. old cables you wouldn't want to use anymore anyway, LOL.:D :eek:

Trending Topics