How to make my LP sound bigger?

E

esw

My main guitar for a very long time now has been a late 60s ES-335. I just got a Les Paul Classic because I really like the neck.

The 335 has a very big sound, IMO, and the Les Paul sounds very flat and midrangey. The LP is completely stock. Any suggestions? Pickups? Caps? I have a spare set of Antiquities I can throw in there.

Thanks
 

sws1

Member
Messages
11,822
Get rid of the pickups in the classic. I had that guitar once. I hate the pickups. Put in some Seth Lovers, Antiquities, of 59s.
 

george4908

Silver Supporting Member
Messages
2,368
sws1 is correct. The stock pickups in the LP Classics are the high gain 496/500 ceramic buckers. Useless clean -- very midrangy and nasal. The only thing they're good for is overdriving a pre-amp. Swap 'em out for a set of '57 Classics or similar and you're in business.
 

rockinlespaul

Member
Messages
3,854
A good set of pups(I prefer Wolfe's), and if you want a bigger sound don't forget the pots! Pull the junk 300K Gibson in favor of 500K CTS. Measure them to make sure, some will vary. Also, some good caps. Normally I use .022 orange drops. I only use vintage bumblebee's in my real nice gear!
 

alderbody

Member
Messages
682
how about a set of WCR's?

Jim's got a lot of p/u's to get the tone you want.

Also a RS guitarworks pot upgrade kit will help a lot!

...and a lightweight tailpiece....

:)
 

rockinlespaul

Member
Messages
3,854
Originally posted by alderbody
how about a set of WCR's?

Jim's got a lot of p/u's to get the tone you want.

Also a RS guitarworks pot upgrade kit will help a lot!

...and a lightweight tailpiece....

:)
Both great places and good people, but IMHO, Wolfe's pups are better AND cheaper. Same goes with the upgrade kit. You can get yourself 500K CTS pots and good caps for around 30 bucks, saving yourself a 20 spot....which of course could go toward a lightweight TP(good call on that one!).

Just my humble opinion of course...:D
 

alderbody

Member
Messages
682
Originally posted by rockinlespaul
Both great places and good people, but IMHO, Wolfe's pups are better AND cheaper. Same goes with the upgrade kit. You can get yourself 500K CTS pots and good caps for around 30 bucks, saving yourself a 20 spot....which of course could go toward a lightweight TP(good call on that one!).

Just my humble opinion of course...:D
yes, but the RS i got was $30...

besides, where i live i cannot access CTS pots to have them tested before buying, so i have to get them ready to fit...

they also include two mallory caps in that price...

never tried the wolfe's pups, though. they might be good.

but i'm very satisfied with the Crossroads.

:)
 

mailman

Member
Messages
810
Best tonal mods to the LP are a combination of what has been mentioned above: new pups & pot/cap upgrade. I chose '57 classics in both slots and had the R/S Guitarworks premium upgrade for production LPs installed. The tone, clarity & knob-sensitivity was vastly improved!
ps. Slap on a set of Snake Oil Strings and enjoy even better tone and playing-enjoyment!:D
 

JustAHack

Member
Messages
141
Originally posted by mailman
Best tonal mods to the LP are a combination of what has been mentioned above: new pups & pot/cap upgrade. I chose '57 classics in both slots and had the R/S Guitarworks premium upgrade for production LPs installed. The tone, clarity & knob-sensitivity was vastly improved!
ps. Slap on a set of Snake Oil Strings and enjoy even better tone and playing-enjoyment!:D
I just installed WCR Goodwoods in my 2000 R9 (pulled the '57 Classics, sorry), along with 500K CTS pots all around. I was already a Snake Oil Strings guy. Have to agree, DO THESE MODS.

If you think 500K CTS pots are too bright, put it out of your mind. They sound HUGE, with an amazing range of tones. The WCR Goodwoods keep the "sweet" cleans, but give a range of tones I can't believe. The 500K CTS pots give it a true, strong voice. The combination gave my R9 this huge, fat, hi-fi sound with a ton of harmonics and warmth.

It's like an 8-foot Tele. Can't get a harsh tone, just warm, complex, and expressive, unique. Took an overly "polite" guitar, and made it into a debutante whore. :D
 






Top