• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

How to measure guitar weight... any small and accurate hand held scales?

Webfoot

Silver Supporting Member
Anything like this exists?

Something you can take into a guitar store?

Corinthian

Why not just pick it up and decide if it's too heavy or not? Weight isn't going to tell you anything about tone (especially when you're holding it in your hands and could just play it) and what's the benefit of knowing how much it weighs with more accuracy than "I couldn't play this for a whole gig" or "this one feels comfortable"?

smiert spionam

Silver Supporting Member
Yeah -- just pick it up. That should tell you what you need to know. Taking a scale into a guitar store is a little obsessive.

For a decent accurate scale, though, just get one of the cheap postal scales off ebay. It will also have the benefit of saving many hours of your life standing in lines at the post office.

saltydogg

Rock & Roll Enthusiast
Platinum Supporting Member
I got a digital food-scale at Walmart. It will only weight up to 12lbs, and is very accurate. Very thin, and about 10"x14"(?). Works well.

stratter

I got a digital food-scale at Walmart. It will only weight up to 12lbs, and is very accurate. Very thin, and about 10"x14"(?). Works well.
+1

Also @ the people who say to pick it up,

I think he wants the exact weight to sell it, not decide if it's too heavy or not.

Tony Bones

Yeah. I have a kitchen scale from Walmart that works well enough. It's a little fussy. You have to make sure it's on a really flat surface. I make the measurement several times and pick the scale up then set it down between measurements. When I get the same number repeatedly I feel pretty confident in its accuracy.

stevieboy

Clouds yell at me
Gold Supporting Member
I have a Berkley digital fish scale, there are several brands of essentially the same thing. 15 to 30 bucks or so. Works fine, you just need to figure a simple way the hang the guitar from it, which isn't difficult.

+1

Also @ the people who say to pick it up,

I think he wants the exact weight to sell it, not decide if it's too heavy or not.
I had typed a similar answer, but then I saw that the OP said he wanted something he could carry into a guitar store. Fine, if he wants to know the weight that's his right, but the "pick it up" response isn't so far off, that's what I do when I'm buying in person.

Last edited:

StratoCraig

When I actually want to know what a guitar weighs, I put it on a digital postage scale. The one we have has no problem with my heaviest guitar, which is my 10 lb 2 oz Les Paul.

But I wouldn't take a scale into a guitar store. I would just hold the guitars and decide whether I felt comfortable with them.

MarkF786

Yup, a fish scale or luggage scale. Put a light nylon strap on the guitar, then hang the strap from the fish scale hook.

sleepingtiger

I bought a digital postal scale that weighs up to 30 or 40 pounds very accurately in American & Metric to accuracy of .1 oz. I think I paid 35 bucks on Ebay.

Tony

MrAstro

All you have to do is stand a set of digital bathroom scales with your guitar and then stand on it without it. Subtract one measurement from the other...

My bathroom scales measure to the nearest 50g.

Astronaut FX

Gold Supporting Member
+1 on the just pick it up. If you're buying online and you have physical limitations that make a light guitar more comfortable, then I can see wanting to know the actual weight (number). But if you're in a store, with the guitar in your hand, you should be able to make that determination without knowing the actual number. Hell, ask them if you can strap it on to see if it's comfortable.

I believe there are people who have legitimate physical limitations that necessitate lighter guitars. That makes sense to me. But I think there are still others who have become overly concerned with the actual number because "well, other people seem to think it's important, so it must be for me too." I've been playing for other thirty years, and this seems to be a relatively new phenomenon.

(Not speculating which camp the OP is in.)

teefus

digital fish scale. i got a bass pro shops brand that is accurate and inexpensive.

Trending Topics