How to mic a Matchless ESD212 cabinet live?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by kd2024, Feb 26, 2015.

1. kd2024

kd2024 Member

So I just got a Matchless ESD212 cab and have previously run a 112 cab live. My question would be on mic techniques: what's the best way to mic it in a mono PA?

Thanks!

2. MLG Audio

MLG Audio Member

Pretty much the same way. You only need to mic one speaker unless you're using two different speakers to blend different tones together (way more complicated than is usually necessary). You will probably need to find a mic position with a little less low end, since a 212 will usually have extra low end on it's own. As with anything its all trial and error. If it sounds right, go with it.

3. kd2024

kd2024 Member

The bolder part is the point. The ESD212 has two different speakers to help create that characteristic chime....I know I can just place my mic on one of the two speakers but I wanted to solicit feedback on whether there may be other/better/creative ways to mic it up that might sound different.

4. rmconner80

rmconner80 Cantankerous Luddite Silver Supporting Member

I'd mic the H30, as to me that's the 'default' matchless speaker sound (with the M25 as the 'color' speaker). That said, the two speakers aren't going to sound that different from one another in a live context, and most differences between speakers will be vastly overshadowed by differences introduced by mic placement between each gig, especially if you are using a 57.

5. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

On my DC30 I used to have a T-Bar on a small stand. 2 mics, usually E609 or 57 type. Was good enough for me.

6. kd2024

kd2024 Member

This actually where I was going: does it make sense to mic both speakers?

7. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change!

How big is your band? If you're playing to 5,000 people a night, which you probably aren't if you're asking these questions yourself, then by all means do whatever makes you happy. The budget and time will be available to acts that big. If you're in a small band running two mics on one guitar amp is serious overkill and the difference in the PA isn't going to be worth the hassle, or the time spent explaining to the engineer why you want to mic both speakers in your amp.

8. maydaynyc

maydaynyc Supporting Member

I would definitely recommend just putting one mic on the cabinet, a 57 or 609 will work fine. I like to start by pointing straight at the center of the cone and then slide towards cone edge until I get the right sound. if you are both the mic setter-upper and the engineer deciding on the sound, this can be a pain in the ass. For most bar band gigs its not going to make a big difference anyway. I usually end us with the mic about 1/3 the distance from the center of the cone to the edge, on about a 30-45 degree angle pointed back towards the center of the cone.

9. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

No need to mic both speakers! With an SM57 I usually mic the brighter of the two speakers if I'm running a mis-matched cab. But seriously, it doesn't really matter.....the difference is pretty much negligible once the music starts in a live show. I might worry about it a bit more for a recording session, but for a live show, just get the sound in the PA with a properly placed mic and rock out! :)

10. rickenbackerkid

rickenbackerkid Member

I do sound for a Pink Floyd Tribute act, and our lead guitarist has a Celestion V30's and a Heritage G12 in each cab.

I experimented with micing both speakers in each cab (x4) mics, but found it offered nothing extra except for more hassles with phase and bleed. I now mic the G12 as a default but if I'm not getting enough 'cut' on the sound, I mic the V30 which helps it to cut through the band mix