How to mod my Rocktron Vendetta?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by JoshuaTSP, Apr 5, 2008.

1. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP Senior Member

I have a Rocktron Vendetta (egnater) all tube combo, but I'm looking for some more low end. It lacks some of that ballsy low end you'd associate with a modded Marshall.....

...I'm wondering if anyone has any idea how to do this? Or how I can go about figuring it out?

I'm fairly handy with soldering, and I've done a few amp repairs before. I know how to drain caps, and work safely.....so any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

2. alltone

alltone Member

Do you have a schematic for this amp? Doug

3. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP Senior Member

If you PM me an email address I can forward the schematics to you....

4. alltone

alltone Member

DONE..Doug Let me know when..so I can check my mail..Cheers..

5. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP Senior Member

Yep, sent it out.....there's quite a few PDFs involved.....yikes.

6. alltone

alltone Member

7. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP Senior Member

8. alltone

alltone Member

9. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

Jackson Heights Birthplace of Johnny Thunders
    very interesting but what happened

10. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP Senior Member

Oh....he suggested that I replace a couple .022uf caps in the output section with .1uf caps. I haven't tried it yet.....don't have the parts on hand.

11. kingjr

kingjr Member

I have the same amp! Don't give up on it just yet. It's loud and wants to be loud. I play this amp at home alot so I can't push it to the paint peeling volumes it demands. I pulled the outside tubes, set the speaker resistance to 8 ohms, biased the two remaining tubes to close to 35 mv, and most importantly turn the amp around and play in front of the open back. Got that from the Joe Bonamassa site where he explains setting up his open back 2x12 on stage. Maybe that sounds wierd but did you notice the amp controls are set up to approach the amp from the back.

I'm partial to modded marshall channel 4 myself and use a Les Paul with 57's in it. This is where I'm typically looking for the fat bottom end. Anyway it's a completely diiferent amp since I made those changes.

12. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP Senior Member

You just face the speakers towards the wall?

13. kingjr

kingjr Member

Depends on the space. But I face it towards the wall with enough space to "bounce" the sound back. I guess I'm getting a mixture of sounds from the rear and the reflected signal from the wall. This is for a small space, I have it maybe 3 feet from the wall. In a larger area the dynamics are different but I typically keep the cabinet turned around. I think the V30's may have too much midrange which takes alot of the "warmness" away. I'm not an expert by any means. I would like to try an extension cab with different speakers or pop a set of greenbacks in there. There are great tones in this amp, but I think the cab and speakers may limit it some. That being said, I have nailed quite a few killer typical Les Paul-Marshall tones noodling around with the settings. I also play without pedals except some delay now and then. This is all related to trying to nail down that classic overdriven Les/Paul Marshall sound at a reasonable volume. The clean channel 1 is a breeze to get sounding good for clean "Fendery" stuff for me. I'm not a fan of the "Voxy?" tone of channel 2, but I have produced some funky stuff from it and channel 3 is just channel 4 with less overdrive to my ears.

Now.... with all the tubes in it, take it to a warehouse, get a long ass cord, crank it 3/4's of the way up to let the giant tranformers work, turn the middle and bass down to a 1/4, maybe the master at half, gain at half to 3/4, presence at half, master presence at 3/4, channel 4, and tell me how it sounds. Seriously!... I haven't had the opportunity to do that.

Also as you experiement with it keep me up to date.

14. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP Senior Member

The reason I'm looking to mod it, is because I just purchased an ABY pedal, and finally A/B'd it with my Egnater by Rocktron TOL50 1x12.
    The TOL had heaps of low end....usable, tight low end....and that's around half way, with the density off.
    The Vendetta on the other hand, and next to no low end with the density all the way up. I've got CL80s in it now....which is WAY better then the stock V30s.
    With the addition of a closed back 2x12 extension cab with Green Berets, it does help the low end a little, but certainly not where it should be.

I have had the chance to crank it up a little...more then half way....and I was pleased with the tone, but that's not very practical.

15. funkycam

funkycam Member

you could also ask bruce egnater.
    He's real helpful in my experience

16. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP Senior Member

Good point.....I figured I'd avoid bothering him, until I had to.

17. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP Senior Member

Okay, I got the caps in the mail and did the mod tonight. I definately can hear a difference.....it sounds much better at lower levels then it ever had before. I used my TOL50 as a reference (ABY box). Prior to the mod the Vendetta's Ch. 2 (which is comparable) sounded thin and whimpy compared to the TOL's gain channel.
    With the caps swapped to .1uF the low end response is much closer to the TOL's, if not more (with the density set at noon). The TOL's clean channel still kicks the Vendetta's ass though. :)

Thanks for the mod idea! It really helped.

What would be some other mods?