How To My Sunface 275?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Theorywolf, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Theorywolf

Theorywolf Member

Just got my Analogman Sunface 275 and I don't find I can get a great sound from it? I admit I know little about fuzzes. I have always used TS overdrives! But I have heard this pedal sound really bluesy! I have it straight into my Super Reverb RI amp with my strat. Sounds just mud and fizz? Do I need to boost this thing with other pedals? I got this one off ebay. Has all the right papers and look. Hope it was not messed with! Has the sundial on it and on and off switch. Any help to get this baby off the ground will be appreciated!

Thanks,

Mike

2. gtrfinder

gtrfinder Supporting Member

First off make sure that you plug the Sunface in front of whatever else you are using.
    Turn up the volume and turn up the fuzz all the way and control the sound with the volume and tone knobs of the guitar.

3. VintageToneGuy

VintageToneGuy Member

Welcome to the world of fuzzes! I love how fuzz sounds in others hands, but I can't get a decent sound out of any I've tried including the AM. Perhaps someone who knows can help.

vtg

4. thesjkexperienc

thesjkexperienc ^^^ I made this guitar^^^

Try running the fuzz all the way up and volume at least half way up. You might like the sunface turned somewhat clockwise for more trebleish tone. If you turn your guitar down to 8 for rhythm it should clean up. I find it most useful on my bridge/tween/middle pups.

5. Pedro58

Pedro58 Member

Two things for fuzz:
    1. Put them first in the chain. Any buffers before them screw up everything.
    2. Dime every knob. Turn the volume all the way up. Turn the drive all the way up. Turn the fuzz all the way up. Turn the tone all the way up. Whatever it has, turn it all the way up. Now, I know the Sunface has the sun knob. I don't know about that. It's a bias control from what I understand and the germanium diodes and whatnot are sensitive to that. Use your ears there! Anyway... turn everything up and work your way backwards. With an OD pedal, we tend to start with the knobs low, or even in the middle of their ranges. Fuzz? Crank it!
    3. Okay... I know I promised only two things, but there's more. Use single coils, preferably Strats. I see that you have that. Put the pickup selector in the bridge position. Then, pull some volume off to see what happens. If the fuzz is still 'dimed," control the amount of drive/fuzz with the volume knob on the guitar. Lots of great tones that way!
    Good luck!

6. Gearhunter

Gearhunter Member

Make sure to use a cheapo Heavy Duty battery,don't pop a Duracell or other alkaline battery in there.
    Work the guitars volume knob.

7. 4styx

4styx Member

To get rid of the mud try running a tubescreamer(with the drive at noon or before)into the fuzz.Makes a wah work well with the fuzz too.Wah> TS>fuzz> amp.Lots of people say the fuzz should be first,but this works well for me.And don't run your guitars volume control all the way up.= mud.

8. Bo Faulkner

Bo Faulkner Member

Also remember that fuzz peds like to hit a LOUD amp

9. jw112

jw112 Member

adjust the internal trim pot,

10. Bo Faulkner

Bo Faulkner Member

Yes indeed .. I forgot to mention that.. I go thru spells with mine where I like the trim almost all the way down .. right now i am in a all the way up spell!

:JAM

11. whoofnagle

whoofnagle Member

For me- volume to taste , fuzz cranked, sundial around noon adjust with guitar Vol

12. geetarboy

geetarboy Member

Try running it into an od set for low gain. Back the volume off the guitar just slightly until the mud goes away. Enjoy.

13. K-man

K-man Member

If you want it to sound like an OD then back off the volume on your guitar. You can accomplish the same thing by turning the internal trim pot back a bit.

14. sixty2strat

sixty2strat Member

oh yeah ...they work best when the amp is loud, at low volume all ya get is the spirt in the sky tone ...crank the amp controll on the Sf as high as you can stand and then turn you guitar down and proceed to play red house

had mine a bit before I got the feel of it...almost sold it 2x

15. Rumblefish

Rumblefish Silver Supporting Member

Some amps just don't work with fuzz faces.
    Another often overlooked aspect-Where are you standing in relation to the speaker(s)?There's a sweet spot for hearing a fuzzed gtr tone that is a little off axis in front of spkr. And you have to be ear level with the spkr. Just move around in front of your spkr and I bet you'll find the sweet spot and then you'll like it.

16. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

I would suggest making sure the bright switch on the Super Reverb is off first, then make sure there are no buffer bypass boxes (tubescreamers, boss pedals, etc) before the Sunface, crank the fuzz knob all the way up, set the volume to where you want/need it and tweak the bias knob (the Sundial) to where it sounds best to you after that just work with it...fuzz is not an easy effect to use and germanium Fuzz Face pedals are harder than some others...super high fuzz pedals like Big Muff pedals, Foxx Tone Machine, some Tonebenders, etc are easier to use because they have lots of cut and sustain FF pedals are harder to use but IMO the pay off is really worth it!

With a Sunface you can go from full on fuzz to completely CLEAN with the volume knob onthe guitar which is why I suggest maxing the fuzz knob out. Some guys like to stack fuzz pedals with OD boxes, boosters and distortion pedals but not me...I prefer the tone of the fuzz by itself but that doesn't mean it can't work for you so try that if you want, just remember to keep those buffer bypass boxes AFTER the Sunface!

17. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

Yes to all of the above...

Crank the volume and fuzz knobs (Sundial knob about 12 o'clock works for me most of the time).

Crank the amp (fuzzes into clean amps make baby Jesus cry...).

Use your guitar's volume to control the amount of fuzz.

18. Theorywolf

Theorywolf Member

Thanks for all the great information. I know of the sundial on top, but is there also a trim pot to the inside? I need to check the battery as well. I will try all of these suggests. This is what makes this site so great for us players!

Cheers,

Mike

19. Axeaholic

Axeaholic Supporting Member

Sunface NKT is alot of fun into a real clean amp, a Strat and a good volume pedal I get everything from a super buesy OD to an agressive Dist !