How to name a guitar?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by csacwp, Mar 25, 2015.

1. csacwp

csacwp Member

I'm having a custom guitar built, and I get to name it! My signature will be on the headstock, and the guitar's name will be engraved into a mother of pearl block inlay at the 24th fret. I've been thinking too hard about how to name it; how do you all name your guitars?

2. kludge

kludge The droid you're looking for

An old bandmate of mine once said, "Naming your guitar is like naming your d**k."

That said, about half my guitars have names, especially the more popular ones.

Kallisti - Handmade acoustic with custom inlay representing the Discordian story (from Greek mythology) of three goddesses fighting over a golden apple. The word "kallisti", meaning "for the prettiest one", was inscribed on the apple by Eris, goddess of chaos. This ultimately led to the Trojan War.

Mr Blonde - My favorite Tele, named by a friend of mine the first time she encountered it, because "It will cut off your ear and set you on fire".

Minnie Pearl - An old Harmony nylon string I paid $25 for at Willie's American Guitars in St Paul, which may make it the cheapest guitar they've ever sold. Named for the price tag which is still hanging from its tuner, close to a decade later.

Alcatraz - Named by a bandmate who often plays it, it's a very well-worn old Alvarez acoustic with a lot of attitude.

Jiffy Pop - A cumbus mandolin from Turkey, named for its physical resemblance to the old popcorn things.

Deathson - A black Epi Dot, named after Alex Lifeson and my love for the old ES-355 he often plays.

Lots of other guitars go unnamed, though. My old Schecter Strat is just "the Schecter", even for my bandmates who love it more than I do.

3. Jazzandmore

Jazzandmore Gold Supporting Member

I only have one named, but plan to name a second one.

I named my Artinger (#297 in his gallery) Sophia because I felt that the natural beauty of the wood was the most striking feature. For some reason that made me want to name it after a classically beautiful woman (not saying my reasoning makes sense) and Sophia Loren immediately came to mind.

I'm looking to name my Knaggs Severn. It's a Winter Solstice I custom ordered and the mix of the mahogany top with the bluish middle layer makes me think blue eyed brunette...now I just gotta find the right woman to name it after :)

4. doc

doc Member

Not many of mine have names, but there are a few. I have a modded Fernandes tele copy which is light yellow with a greenish hue to it. My niece named it "Scum". Scum now sports a couple of signatures as well - Johnny Winter and Phil Keaggy so far.

5. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

What a way to insure that not only WON'T you sell it... but you CAN'T sell it...

6. Krausewitz

Krausewitz Member

In my experience you don't name guitars...they name themselves.

I only have one guitar with a name. It is a Thin Skin 52 Tele called Ivan Fyodorovich Karamazov (just 'Ivan' for short). I got the guitar whilst reading the Brothers Karamazov and the name felt right. The guitar is brash, bold and outspoken (like Ivan). Plus, you can actually translate "Karamazov" to "blackguard", so there's a nice little double meaning there.

[Yes, I realise this is utterly ridiculous!]

7. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Armchair Rocket Scientist Graffiti Existentialist Gold Supporting Member

I've never deliberately named a guitar, but I've had a couple that sort of named themselves after owning & playing them for a while.

Edit: just saw the previous post. Yep, spot on.

8. mxvin

mxvin Member

my name is Phil and I named by Strat build PHENDER

9. mughead

mughead Member

i have a junior called the josh guitar because the previous owner scraped his name onto the front.

10. rsm

rsm Member

shillelagh.

Or Log.

11. kludge

kludge The droid you're looking for

Didn't Les Paul beat you to that name?

12. rsm

rsm Member

Yes, but not to the commercial. :D

13. AParrotLooksAt4O

AParrotLooksAt4O Member

I name mine after the Muppet character who’s personality is most similar to a specific instrument.

SG – Animal.
    ES-135 – Waldorf
    Strat - Gonzo

14. klatuu

klatuu Member

The only guitar I have that's named is my LsL Saticoy named "Elle". They name them when they build them, and Elle is my wife's name. That one was easy to bring home.

15. buddyboy69

buddyboy69 Member

just dont be witty and call it "_____caster".

16. Mars Rover

Mars Rover Member

Just so it doesn't sound like a pet name (uncool) or blank head stock (also uncool). Something that looks like model name plus a brand name could either be cool or uncool. I always wanted to build a guitar and do something like Moseley did with Moserite, use the first 3 letters of my name. It would be an Allrite, fitting for anything built by me - just alright.

17. Imola82

Imola82 Member

My recently departed gold Strat was named Goldie Guncotton - Reference to the color and lacquer.

My still owned yellow Strat I call Spa - Yellow is the the Belgium racing color and Spa Francorchamps is my favorite track and also located there.

My previous 93' good wood LP Standard was called Bertha, cause she weighed 10lbs.

Never named my Martin or PRS Custom 22, which are both gone now.

My other current and very new Don Grosh I have not named yet. Naming it should be easy as it's got a graffiti paint job, so naturally I should call it...

18. Gibson 1964

Gibson 1964 Member

My Kramer Duke is "the broom of doom."

19. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

I have three with names. The LP special is Staci (after my niece, who first saw it when she was six and said "that guitar is special"), my L6-S is Leslie (it just fits) and my 335 is Bessie (after Bessie Smith because it just sings).

I don't care if some people here say it's stupid and I do consider them tools, but those three aren't going anywhere (I've had Leslie for almost 40 years) and they pretty much named themselves...the other 6 or 7 are just the Tele, the old Rickenbacker, the Melody Maker, the R8, etc...

20. SPROING!

SPROING! Member

I built this one last year and I still call it "The white guitar."

[​IMG]

Everything I try sounds cheesy.

Even the headstock is unadorned.
    [​IMG]