How to pack/ship w/ only a gig bag

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by wrxplayer, Dec 27, 2009.

1. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

I just sold a guitar on ebay and will be shipping it in a gig bag. It is a set neck so removing it is not an option. Would appreciate any tips/suggestions to help insure its safe journey.

2. soldersucker

soldersucker Member

Oh boy thats a tough one and as a former powerseller with great feedback i would advise against it. If i was forced to i would get a proper guitar box from a music store idealy two one bigger then the other.
    Double box with lots of large bubble wrap in the first box styro around the second.
    .Shake it if it moves at all don't ship it.Detune the strings.
    Most of all pray

3. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

Most music stores that sell acoustics receive those guitar via UPS, FED EX, etc. In my experience, most of those stores save the boxes they came in, at least until trash day, and they're mostly double boxed.

My local music store, Jensen's in Santa Barbara, has so many requests for these boxes that they SELL THEM to Ebay'ers who need 'em for shipping.

Bubble wrap the guitar inside the "inner" box, then pack that box in the outer box and make sure you fill all the spaces. I tried it this way and had a very successful arrival.

Good Luck, hope this helps, Dana O.

4. Luke

Luke Senior Member

1/4 plywood reinforcement on each side as per Dan that famous repair guy.

5. Smakutus

Smakutus Member

Take a look at the inside of the gig bag and see if there is anything on the inside that might rub the finish of the guitar if it moves around in it and mess it up. I had a Strat Plus sent to me boxed in a gig bag that had a rubbery feeling inside and it screwed up the paint. I would put the guitar in a garbage bag or two before putting it in the gig bag or shipping it in a box alone.

I've shipped plenty of guitars without a hard shell case with no problems. Rather than use a regular guitar box try and find a square box that fits the guitar and set the guitar in the box from corner to corner. Use a bunch of newspaper or bubble wrap for packing it up nice and tight. The guitar can't move at all in the box. I also put arrows pointing up to standing the box on it's end so they won't stack things on it's sides. I don't know if that helps though.

Jeff

6. Seegs

Seegs Member

7. Blue4Now

Blue4Now Gold Supporting Member

I just received a guitar in a gig bag that was packaged nicely in a large Taylor cardboard box heavily padded with foam and crushed newspaper. No problems at all.

8. fritferret

fritferret Member

hey:

TAKE THIS ADVICE!!!!!! take the guitar to a usps or fedex store and pay them to pack it, insure it, and ship it. always let them pack it, otherwise you run the risk of the insurance not really meaning anything, because they can say youpacked it poorly if somehing is broken in transit.