How To Play Like Matt Schofield?

Tomo

I became really good friend with Matt Schofield recent years.

Matt got some unique & very strong time feel. Don't you agree?

Watch this video... amazing time feel! I really enjoy playing with him a lot!

Conversation in Blues with Matt Schofield at JJ Guitars NAMM 2014
http://youtu.be/_E_Bl-IF73I

PS, I am gonna be in London...toward end of this month. I will be teaching Matt's blues camp on 2/28, 3/1, 3/2.

Don't forget check out his new album from Provogue
"Far As I Can See" Amazing sounding record!!!!!

http://www.mattschofield.com/
https://www.facebook.com/mattschofieldofficial

Tomo

JL75

Wow! Favorited! Just for reference, what would you call that chord progression? It damn sure isnt a 12 or 8 bar lol

GLB98

Wow! Favorited! Just for reference, what would you call that chord progression? It damn sure isnt a 12 or 8 bar lol
That is very nice! It is a 12 bar in Bb, with a quick change and I-V turnaround at the end, with some additional sprucing up as well.

JL75

Oh ok, by 12 bar I was thinkin 1-4-5. This is the kind of stuff I want under my belt. Just not the best student, I tend to get frustrated lol

Kenny Blue

Silver Supporting Member
Great clip Tomo !

Shows that with two awesome players like yourself and Matt even just casually sitting with a couple of amps turned down to speaking level can sound amazing !

Awesome improvised lines, comping and walking bass lines...

GLB98

Oh ok, by 12 bar I was thinkin 1-4-5. This is the kind of stuff I want under my belt. Just not the best student, I tend to get frustrated lol
I want it under mine too! I can hear it, but that doesn't mean I can play it like I'd like.

Tomo

Great clip Tomo !

Shows that with two awesome players like yourself and Matt even just casually sitting with a couple of amps turned down to speaking level can sound amazing !

Awesome improvised lines, comping and walking bass lines...
Thanks so much! Don't pay attention on my playing please! I am ok. but...

Matt 's playing is always so tight!!! Great time feel and he got both traditional 145 chord changes and jazz blues chord changes very smooth! I hear a lot of organ trio experiences from his playing. (my guess).

I am so honored to play with Matt more and more! I will be in London soon!

Funny part is... before we played this... I was playing Matt's signature guitar, He was playing P90... then we switched those guitars... still sounded same!

Tomo

Tomo

I want it under mine too! I can hear it, but that doesn't mean I can play it like I'd like.
This is very good example how to play rhythm guitar for other guitar player who is playing solo.

So you need to listen both parts. Both are improvising each others like a conversation.

Not repeating any memorized parts you see....

To do this well, listen carefully and learn many blues chord changes from music (recording or live) not from books or anything but real music!!!

Tomo

GLB98

This is very good example how to play rhythm guitar for other guitar player who is playing solo.

So you need to listen both parts. Both are improvising each others like a conversation.

Not repeating any memorized parts you see....

To do this well, listen carefully and learn many blues chord changes from music (recording or live) not from books or anything but real music!!!

Tomo
Thanks Tomo, I did already study it and play along with it a bit, and will do more. It is a really good and helpful example.

lifeinsong

Tomo, that was one of the best blues jams I've EVER heard. You are an extremely humble guy and while Matt is an amazing player, you are right there and then some. Loved everything about that clip and really appreciate you posting it for us to enjoy.

I was fortunate to have the experience of going to Berklee and graduated in 1987 with my Bachelors Degree. While I was there I had the pleasure of studying with guys like Jim Kelly and John Baboian who are amazing players and also great instructors...not sure if you were teaching there at that time, but man I would have loved to have studied with you as well! You are a true gentleman and I am inspired every time I hear you play. Thank you so much and God Bless!

Jeff

Last edited:

Tomo

Tomo, that was one of the best blues jams I've EVER heard. You are an extremely humble guy and while Matt is an amazing player, you are right there and then some. Loved everything about that clip and really appreciate you posting it for us to enjoy.

I was fortunate to have the experience of going to Berklee and graduated in 1987 with my Bachelors Degree. While I was there I had the pleasure of studying with guys like Jim Kelly and John Baboian who are amazing players and also great instructors...not sure if you were teaching there at that time, but man I would have loved to have studied with you as well! You are a true gentleman and I am inspired every time I hear you play. Thank you so much and God Bless!

Jeff
Hello Jeff,

Thanks so much for your kind words! I am very happy to hear that what you felt from that clip.

Playing Matt is... better than anything... amazing chilling experience I ever have. He plays his soul every time when we play blues. He is my blues brother and great friend.

We are very fortunate to go to Berklee. That's blessing! I went there Fall of 1987 so we may missed each others. Jim & John are great teacher! Both were originally rock player, did you know that? Very cool people!!!

Lately I teach seasoned pros about theory type approach behind what they are playing. Or Teaching playing over chord changes to Rock/Pop guitar players. My new hobby and my passion to do this. Making people happy!

I love playing blues & teaching (coaching) people with what they already know... I am good at organize things (what they know) and giving choices
on how to apply that to other places. Basically recycle of ideas.

Thank you very much!

Tomo

frdagaa

Gold Supporting Member
That is very nice! It is a 12 bar in Bb, with a quick change and I-V turnaround at the end, with some additional sprucing up as well.
To clarify, it's a standard 12 bar pattern with quick IV, a vi ii V in bars 8, 9, 10 then a bIII7 II7 bII7 turnaround in bars 11 and 12. All very typical for jazzing up a standard blues. There are also some typical transitional chords (diminished, and some back cycled ii V's) thrown in there too.

Trending Topics