• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

How to play this lick (Malmsteen)

Ribar

So i have been going at this lick for few weeks now and i am just trying to get a feel on how to best pick this. I normal tend to alternate pick everything and prefer this style as its feels more comfortable to me, however now that i have been trying to play some of Malmsteen stuff its not always best or most efficient to alt pick everything, it just makes more sense to economy pick some stuff especially during string changes.

Here is the run when going from one string to next and i was just curious how does Malmsteen play this, does he alternate pick this or legato, not sure??

These are all 16th notes and also shows how i been picking this and practicing, is this the way to approach this lick??

p- pull off
D- down pick
U- up pick

-|-D--U-P---U----D--U--U--D----U--U--D--U----D--U--D--U

e|-13-12-10------12-10---------10------------------------|
B|----------13---------13-12------13-12-10---13-12-10-9--|

I am ok when i pick 16th notes on one string and feel like i got a good feel for them but when i try to switch the strings and use economy it breaks the flow however its more efficient on right hand. I know its probably no right/wrong way but just thinking how would Malmsteen play this?

Thanks for any advice.

CowTipton

Gold Supporting Member
Starting with downstrokes on the high strings/high notes like that is so unnatural for me. I'm so used to outside picking.

It does end up sounding pretty good though. Maybe that is how YJM does it, wouldn't surprise me. If nothing else I think this is a good exercise for helping to break your normal picking habits.

If you check out that Malmsteen righthand picking technique clip on youtube, he does start with downstrokes and use economy picking a lot.

If I was going to alt pick that run, I'd start with an upstroke, as that would cause less awkward string transitions ( ones where the pick is headed in the opposite direction of the next string).

I also have a convoluted system of some pull offs, some little two strng sweeps on runs like tha, but I'd have to show you - I'd be here all night trying to pick it apart and write it down.

Excuse spellin, iPad doesn't always register the letters I hit!

Ribar

Thanks guys, i have not tried picking this run with upstroke which i think is worth giving it a shot...i just normally start all my picking with down stroke and alt pick from there.

I think the reason why this exercise is giving me trouble is that i am introducing economy picking with string changes and i am just so used to alt pick everything and it throws me off when i get to the part to change strings....also with combination of using a pull of its multiple techniques combined. Its a great exercise for sure.

That video above is great, thanks for posting this, i can see he definitely uses economy picking a lot...also legato work too on some of the runs.

Tito83

It really depends on the context when it comes to Malmsteen. He isn't the guy that plays the same lick in the same way everytime and for different effects he will use different picking styles. Best advice I can give you is to listen to how it sounds and try to mimick it by using whatever technique/fingering you need to get there.

stevel

I'm no speed demon put I play licks like this either alternate picking (I have no problem starting with a down stroke) or I play with pull-offs on only the first note of any string (can do this much faster). I could start with an upstroke as well - I think it's important to do it as many ways as possible.

Best,
Steve

Clifford-D

I like starting with the down stroke
For the first four notes I would pick
D U P D not up. This provides a sweep
back to the first string and thus giving
it the power it needs to be the strong
beat, upstrokes would not articulate as
well. Imo

Ribar

I like starting with the down stroke
For the first four notes I would pick
D U P D not up. This provides a sweep
back to the first string and thus giving
it the power it needs to be the strong
beat, upstrokes would not articulate as
well. Imo
Yes...that is very good point, i try to accent first note on each beat to keep me better on time and just get the feel for the 16th notes. I think the way you lined up the picking pattern would provide better picking attack on that first note on the beat.

Clifford-D

I'm certainly not a shredder but isn't he sweep picking those arpeggios?
This lick would be tough to totally sweep, the picking I suggest
Alternate picking
Legato picking and
Economy picking, also called speed picking or Gambale picking or Lane picking or,,,

I think when playing fast the least amount of work is essential, Gambale says the best way to go from one string to the next string is having the pick go in the same direction.
Cross picking is more alternate based with the down up across non adjecent strings.
strings. Legato picking can get pretty fast. Sweep has to be the fastest but really lacks the emotive thing imo.

matte

how can a(ny) technique be assigned an emotional component?

"the downstroke.

the saddest of all picking techniques."

apologies to nigel t.
Sweep has to be the fastest but really lacks the emotive thing imo.

Clifford-D

how can a(ny) technique be assigned an emotional component?

"the downstroke.

the saddest of all picking techniques."

apologies to nigel t.
How does feel and emotive quality then get transfered to the string??

The emotive thing is what dig about the blues, the way we nudge and rub the string to get all those nuances. Sweep is not a technique I can control enough to get anything heartfelt.

harry65

Silver Supporting Member
did this a few years back , i think the idea your talking about is from :35 - :42 , bigtime dimeola lick , i use strict alternating starting with a downstroke( ithink i start evrything with a downstroke:huh:) , takes a lot of patience but you can do it , be cool...........:beer

Trending Topics