• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

How to play this part??? PLZ HELP!!!

stevel

Dunno if this is the right place to post this, but here goes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dS5VvsU3oc

I've got this song down completely - exept for one damn thing. I want to know how to play the simple part David Ryan Harris plays on the rhytm guitar. Please help!

It's hard for me to hear on my crappy computer speakers (plus the "bootlegged" audio is not that good either).

Also, I can't tell if he's hitting the low D, or if JM is filling in,so I'll put those in parentheses. He *probably* is, but the video makes it hard to tell.

You'll have to figure out the rhythm, but here are the shapes:

-------------------------
-----------------13------
-------10---9----12-----
-------12--10 -----------
-(10*)-------------------

--------------------------------
--------------------8----6------
---------------10---9----7-----
---------------12--10 ---8-----
--------------------------------
-(10-8-10)---------------------

* The video looks like he might be playing the D string open, and the C note (the ones I put in parentheses) on the 6th string - it's hard to tell because the audio and video are out of sync when I watch it. Again, it could be JM but if I were doing this by myself, I'd do the open string thing just to be cheeky.

The chords above produce, or imply, Dm - C - C, then Dm - C - Bb.

With this kind of funky playing, sometimes players fret more notes than they "intend" to play, and hit some of them accidentally. So for both the Dm and C chords, he may be playing (or he may play) the 2nd string as I put in the last two chords. The first pass through, I don't hear the 2nd string notes on the C and Bb chords, but the 2nd pass, I hear the 2nd string notes pretty well (and you don't see the Bb becasuse the camera pans away).

And Droopy, a bit of advice. When I was learning to play guitar, I would learn all of the EVH solos, and skip the rhythm parts because they weren't as interesting to me. But from years of experience, being a tight, pocket player that can play this kind of stuff is really important (not to mention EVH's rhtyhm parts are actually where he really shone, it's just people don't realize it). In a perfect world, you should have learned this part first, and it should have come pretty easy to you.

So, just in case you're caught up in the "solo glory" aspect of learning songs like I was, do yourself a favor and work on your rhythm playing as well.

It's good to see you're working on an ENTIRE song though. That was also one of my mistakes when I was learning - I'd only learn parts. Now I see the value of being able to play all the parts (and all the parts of both guitar parts, etc.).

HTH,
Steve

Droopy

Doesn't change my answer!

But it's more clear that the 2nd string is being played in the 2nd pass each time on all three chords.

That's one of those things that varies subtly every time it's played I'm sure.

Steve
I've nailed it! It's like this (slightly different from the playback-version).

-----------------13------
-------10---9----12-----
-------12--10 ---10------
-(10*)-------------------

------------------------------
---------------14--12---10-----
---------------15--13---12------
-(10-8-10)---------------------

Thank you SO much for your help! I couldn't have nailed it without your help! I owe you - big time!

Trending Topics